Feren OS 2019.12 released with KDE

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Feren OS 2019.12 released with KDE

Post by crosscourt »

KDE is now the default DE for Feren which is a good move as why use it with Cinnamon when it already exists with Mint. Now anyone who enjoyed the original Mint KDE can use Feren. I liked Mint KDE and will give this a whirl and see how it looks. With few new KDE distros this might be a winner.

Look here, https://distrowatch.com/10779
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Feren OS 2019.12 released with KDE

Post by crosscourt »

They changed over to the dark/transparent themes and it looks a lot slicker than the old white/opague ones.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Never actually heard of it before, might try it out though, since I've been redoing all my laptops all my VM's didn't survive the change-around (I keep the qcows in the default directory, /var/lib/libvirt so they get wiped since I always format /), so PLENTY of drive space on all my machines to create some new ones!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Except for some of their own branding, Im guessing this is going to be very similar to Mint KDE which was a great distro in my opinion.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So far a nicely done distro but Mint KDE it isnt. Startup guide and welcome screen are well done and its a minimalist install that gives you what you need only to a point. The initial GUI is slick and nicely done as its a custom design. When you startup you get a choice of style of GUI, theme and color.
Its very quick and in my case I took the Redmond style theme wit the dark ad ded. Their simple menu is actually pretty nice but I went with Redmond so the menu is much more stock. Notived that under startup and shutdown the services tab is missing, otherwise nothing else Ive noticed so far. I give them credit as they tried to craft a more unique experience instead of another stock KDE install. Many nice features and printer/wifi were seen,and work fine. Vivaldi is the default browser and Libreoffice is available. Added a fair number of apps but overall a very easy and quick install.It uses pretty up to date KDE 5.17.4, thats good news as I prefer the newer versions which arent used in many of my other KDE distros. Very few K apps which should please many users. In some ways it reminds me of Neon but in terms of design/features/GUI its much better.
Ill post back once Ive used it more.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The familar os theme makes Feren look like Win10 and thats a plus for many crossover users. The ability to customize the overall appearance/themes makes this distro unique but reminds me a bit of Zorin OS but thankfully it uses KDE not Gnome shell.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Definitely a winner so far and will definitely replace Mint Cinnamon from my list. Neon and Feren right now for me are the two top KDE distros and given some time, Feren can improve it even further after getting some feedback from this release.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'll probably try this out this weekend. My 7400 is supposed to be delivered today if I can beat FedEx home. It requires a signature so I may end up having a tag and scheduling to have it delivered Monday and authorize them to leave it online. If I do get home in time I'll be building that tonight (after confirming everything works in Windows so I can return if not), it'll be getting Arch linux. I might even consider putting Feren on the Samsung to try on bare metal. Not like I've gotten a lot of interest in it, no shocker given the time of year it is.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I hope they dont screw this up as right now this is one of the more enjoyable distros Ive ever used and honestly Id use it over Neon.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, will have to try it on bare metal. In a VM, doens't matter what I do, I can't change resolution from 1024x768. Which is simply intolerable even just for testing.