Feren OS 2019.12 released with KDE

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Feren OS 2019.12 released with KDE

Post by crosscourt »

They havent gone to 5.19.4 yet but they did upgrade quite a few things that werent suppose to be upgraded till they went to the 20.04 based version.
They also need to advertise their KDE version as their stats are dropping but everyone thinks they have nothing to offer versus Mint.
These guys are doing a great job with the distro.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They just updated to 5.19.4 today and no issues with the updates.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm actually testing Feren right now on my A485. I've realized that since putting Fedora on it, I use it less and less. While objectively there's absolutely nothing WRONG with Fedora, I just don't LIKE it. So I figure try this, see if I like it more.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So far its been great but they havent moved to newer version yet, still 18.04 based.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I can't remember the OS, but I remember reading a release announcement recently that the latest version of something was released that was based on 16.04. I don't blame some distro's for staying with 18.04 for now to avoid having to find replacements for Chromium, decide to go to Firefox, or what with Chromium being gone.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Sure does come with an awful lot of gnome and cinnamon cruft preinstalled for a KDE distro. Have had to remove hundreds of packages of gnome- or cinnamon- programs and support libraries. Not well designed.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Given they support Cinnamon and XFCE(Mint based) Im not surprised but in my case that really doesnt bother me nor does it harm my overall experience. I never bothered to see if they have a minimalist install
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Ugh, how do you manage to use this? I try to change 1 setting on dolphin, it changes like 4 or 5 settings. Have to restart dolphin to attempt to fix, fix 1 setting, 4 more are messed up. It's unusably bad. Yeah, done with Feren. Just spent over 30 minutes just trying to change a setting on Dolphin, and EVERY TIME it would change multiple settings that I didn't touch (and not always the same settings). Unusable.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I even tried deleting my entire /home/tim profile, copying over /etc/skel and rebooting and logging in again. Soon as I try to change settings on Dolphin, it immediately starts changing multiple settings I never touched.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I use most distros in their stock form and really dont make a lot of changes. Your needs and habits are so specific that many distros dont look at things the same way. Feren for me is stable and excellent as it is so no complaints at all so far.
Site Moderator