Feren OS 2019.12 released with KDE

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Feren OS 2019.12 released with KDE

Post by crosscourt »

They need to advertise the KDE version as their rankings are dropping due to the fact they advertise only the same offerings as Mint presently.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:22 pm They need to advertise the KDE version as their rankings are dropping due to the fact they advertise only the same offerings as Mint presently.
As much as I don't care for it, can't argue with your logic.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

A lot of people dont like Mint/Mint based distros but for mainstream users its a good option.
Having said that Zdnet has had Mint their top rated Linux distro for quite some time.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

Mint was a major game changer in many ways. It took Ubuntu and made it better. Bea was my favourite back in '06 '07 mainly because it was still blue - before they went all minty green - yuk! I think I still have the theme files somewhere....

Sadly as time went by it got fatter - there were some classics but these days I object to seeing about 500mb RAM gone with just a tickover. You'd hope the Debian verson would be leaner but LMDE / Cinnamon with Firefox and 1 tab - 1.3Gb RAM - you must be joking!

But. OTOH there's a huge number of referb machines out there that have put Mint in the hands of complete novices and they're happy - so that's got to be a win for linux
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Lets be clear about resource usage with Mint. Cinnamon, yes it uses more resources , Mate version nowhere near as much and the XFCE version is a relatively light distro. Ill include Feren OS as its essentially KDE Mint and its resource usage is in the same range as XFCE Mint. Having said that, most pcs today have at least 8-16gb of ram so its no big deal that a distro uses more resources , even though you can certainly find lighter distros.

I have run Mint Cinnamon though with 4gb of ram and had no issues and the resource usage adapted itself quite a bit to the system.

Totally agree with your last statement bin except its not just for novices, given the tech editor over at ZDnet uses it as his main os and hes not the only one. Its a great distro for all levels of users and doesnt have the Snap issue .
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Talked to the devs by email but they still havent been advertising their KDE version outwardly and added it to their Distrowatch profile.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They updated to LibreOffice 7 today.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

After updates yesterday, this morning the system booted up to an onscreen keyboard that covers the whole bottom third of the screen. something screwed up. Will see tonite io if I can get this corrected. Appears to be the Onboard app that some KDE distros use for a virtual keyboard.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ended up removing the Onboard app for an onscreen keyboard and was good to go. Not sure why this app thought it should takeover the desktop and wasnt happy they installed it as part of recent updates.
Site Moderator