Top 5 distros November 2019

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Top 5 distros November 2019

Post by crosscourt »

Im working with a variety of hardware thats not always my own and having an easy to work with, very up to date distro is a big help. Presently among clients Neon has become very popular.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I can see that. It's really one of the most intelligently designed OS's IMO for users coming from Windows or users who aren't technically inclined. It's LTS, so no constant major upgrades or reinstalls, it has a "classic" desktop feel so it works REALLY well with mouse/keyboard, it's got a TON of options to make it pretty if the computer has the grunt yet is lightweight enough to run on lesser hardware as well. And with the hwe kernels, hardware support is kept up to date (at a slightly slower pace than some) despite being LTS. And the most important part for human interaction (the desktop itself) is kept up to date despite being LTS. If it was based on Debian instead of Ubuntu, this would, by far, be my favorite OS of all time.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been working with a lot of Win7 converts who have switched to Neon and also some who have moved over to Win10 but I showed them how to dumn down all the stupidity in it. Linux among mainstream users is a lot higher than people realize and it amazes me how low the percentage is in most articles when in fact I see it all the time. When I retire Im going to work towards helping more people convert to it.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Having issues using XFCE as I was testing distros recently Even Mint has some issues with the recent 4.14 version. Zorin is the best so far but has screenlocker problems.Cinnamon though is ok.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Does Zorin use XFCE? For some reason I thought it was based on something else.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Zorin 15 Core uses Gnome Shell and its a custom design but the Lite version uses XFCE with some tweaks.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

OH, ok. That makes sense then. Good to know that my memory still is reliable on occassion.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Zorin 15 core is a very nice distro with a lot of nice added features. The menu wont be to everyones liking but overall a good experieince and still the only distro Ive used with my laptops/dock that doesnt force me to open the laptop to click on external monitor.
Site Moderator