My top 5 distros for October 2019

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: My top 5 distros for October 2019

Post by tlmiller »

Yes. Debian is not going to ever make someone say "WOW" at what it does. It is rather boring. But as you point out, it just WORKS. On almost any hardware configuration. It just works!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive switched a lot of my hardware over to Q4OS recently, even though I still like the other distros.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If youd had asked me just a short time ago, I would have said Mint or Neon was my favorite but that changed significantly recently when I found Q4OS/Debian 10 just worked and was designed in such a way that really suited my tastes.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Obviously I've had a thing for Debian for a LONG time. Like, longer than you've used linux. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Been using Linux since 2006-2007 but really didnt get into it till 2013 as I was heavily into Windows right up to Windows 7. Thats when things changed heavily and now I dont use Windows at all. My first regular OS was DOS even though I worked with some of the earlier proprietary systems.
When I think about it it makes me feel a lot older given how long Ive been involved with tech.

Now Im testing Linux distros and have finally gotten to a point where Ive found some distros that really suit me and Debian 10/Q4OS or similar I believe is what Ive been looking for. KDE is also the DE Ive decided to use even though Cinnamon is nice but KDE is very comfortable for me.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, Debian's been my preferred OS since 2002-ish timeframe. Started using linux around 1998/1999.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Q4OS, MXLinux and Netrunner in particular I like very much but it has to be KDE for me. I used KDE originally back in 2006 but enjoyed Gnome 2 for a time but ended up back on KDE again. TDE is good but KDE is so nice I cant bring myself to use TDE. Will keep my eye out for other Debian derivatives but for now I think Ive settled on what I want.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I originally used whatever libranet used. I THINK it was a modified Gnome...although not sure if it was 2 or 1. Once Libranet was gone, then I moved to KDE, and that's more or less where I've stayed, although I did stray during the 4.x days because it wasn't very good for a very long time.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Xandros was my first time with Linux and that was before 2006 when I played with other distros like Mepis, Mandriva and PCLOS. Xandros had excellent compatibility with Windows so I was able to dual boot it but I like Xandros but lived in a Windows world due to my gaming activities and online responsibilities.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I definitely don't remember my first few distro's. I only remember from the first one that I had success getting online with. Libranet linux. Still to this day miss that distribution. For the day, it was AMAZING. I used other distro's off and on for a while after Libranet was gone, but ultimately I ended up with Debian, which is what LIbranet was based on. Arch had a chance to take over the #1 spot back then, but the changes by the dev's causing it to CONSTANTLY require chrooting and repairing ended that chance. That's really the only distro that ended up truly competing with Debian for me.