EasyOS

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

EasyOS

Post by tlmiller »

Anyone ever used? I was testing it out last night on the Chuwi (still haven't sold it off, actually forgot about it there for a few weeks). Based on Puppy technologies. Kinda a neat idea. After putting it on a usb drive, it'll auto expand the working sector so that it's totally usable as a live media. It also encrypts the working sector, so any files you store are encrypted. That's the good. Doesn't include any form of network management that includes scanning. So you have to know EXACTLY what you want to set up, and can't just select a wifi. So, IMO, while neat idea, it's a useless OS.
crosscourt

Re: EasyOS

Post by crosscourt »

Im aware of it but have never tried it. Puppy Ive used a lot. I use to play with Tiny Core and Micro Core Linux. Its purely an experiment and who knows where it will go.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I haven't been distro-hopping much recently as I am using live-build to create my preferred version of Debian, I have it set to UK English timezone and keyboard by default and have things like Palemoon, PyCharm and qemu-kvm installed and configured OOTB!
I'm currently working on a set-up for installing on remotely supported machines so that they have everything they need for me to connect as soon as they have an internet connection, it's mainly to allow these machines to be re-installed without me having to travel the country, I can simply post a usb stick and let them do the installation. I might find I have to keep a custom live-build script for each machine as they will undoubtedly have different software requirements, but it will save me a lot of traveling (hopefully).
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

dai_trying wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:50 pm I haven't been distro-hopping much recently as I am using live-build to create my preferred version of Debian, I have it set to UK English timezone and keyboard by default and have things like Palemoon, PyCharm and qemu-kvm installed and configured OOTB!
I'm currently working on a set-up for installing on remotely supported machines so that they have everything they need for me to connect as soon as they have an internet connection, it's mainly to allow these machines to be re-installed without me having to travel the country, I can simply post a usb stick and let them do the installation. I might find I have to keep a custom live-build script for each machine as they will undoubtedly have different software requirements, but it will save me a lot of traveling (hopefully).
I used to do the same when I supported a lot of people. Now, there's only 1 person I'm really supporting anymore, and he lives a couple miles from me. Might be 2 soon, my buddy just moved back to the valley from San Francisco as he and his wife go through divorce (FINALLY, I'm an a-hole so when I say that she's just MEAN AND HATEFUL that's saying something), so once he gets back on his feet he'll be needing a laptop (I switched him over to linux years ago on a freebie desktop I gave him and he really liked it).
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

A 250 mile round trip for what turned out to be a mouse problem made me re-evaluate how I give support, but I do not have too many and do not offer myself anymore to anyone outside of a very short journey.
I have to say I find people in general are too afraid to use Linux just because they are stepping away from "the norm" and think they can never do the things they always do, despite most of it being inside their browser window! I don't understand how some people use their computers, but each to their own I guess.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

That hasnt been my experience so far. Businesses,people who use their pc for business are less apt to want to change to something new as they lose time and money. My wife is open to change but shes so busy that there isnt a good time to make that change and deal with any unforseen issues. She also has to interact with others who are very reliant on Windows as well.
Overall most of the people we work with which includes seniors seem to love Linux. Once we show them a distro with a nice wallpaper and ask them to sit down and try it, they always ask, is this a version of Windows/older/newer version of Windows? They are navigating and going on the net with ease.
I had this happen with Zorin and they thought it was an older version of Windows, till they moved around a bit more and saw what it was.
More experienced users are amazed at what they can do, how good it looks and how well it performs. Usually after some explanation and less than an hour of trying it, they are pretty comfortable.
We show them Netflix in action, Youtube as well as other apps and most are familiar with Chrome/Chromium and Firefox already.
We also ask them is there something you do on Windows you thik you cant do on Linux. Then we show them it can be done. Many want to see installations and its amazing how quickly it cam be done which floors some users.
Its gotten a bit easier since people have gotten use to their smartphones and doing things in different ways. It rolls over a bit to their experience with Linux, but yes there are some who are Windows forever until they have a serious issue and realize how good Linux is.
I also pull hard drives from one system and reinstall the drive onto another system and show them that the pc will be up and running right away.
Business users really like that and the fact that its free with a large amount of software available.
Site Moderator