CentOS 8 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

CentOS 8 released

Post by tlmiller »

More information here.

I've actually got a CentOS test VM running at work. can't figure out how to get it to allow traffic to port 22. Tried seting a permanent firewall rule.
Even turned off the firewall, and still get that port 22 is filtered. Not a promising start given this will be our production OS going forward for servers.
crosscourt

Re: CentOS 8 released

Post by crosscourt »

Never tried nor tested CentOS 8.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Just released yesterday, and they don't offer public testing. Unless you're part of the CentOS team, noone tests it. I just so happened to have been WAITING for it's release for so long that I had the image downloaded and on my Nutanix avaiable to install within 10 minutes of getting to work yesterday and getting it downloaded.

Stupid thing, I downloaded from the server, instead of downloading the torrent. With how many people were downloading, the torrent probably would have taken me 30-40 seconds to download the full image, vs. the 45 minutes downloading from a mirror when everyone and their brother was doing the same.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I should have rephrased that as Ive never used CentOS any version.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Ah. WONDERFUL server OS. Hands down the BEST server OS IMO (since RHEL you have to pay for).

Pretty much garbage for anything else.