Void Linux

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Void Linux

Post by crosscourt »

I dont have any issues with enabling things with certain distros, but I deal with mainstream users and I prefer to have many things auto-enabled. After my install I go through and drop services I dont need. Void simply wouldnt serve my needs nor that of friends or clients, speaking to tlmillers comments.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I wanna sneak into CC's house, and change all his installs over to Slackware running the RatPoison WM as the only WM/DE. :lol: :D :lol: :D
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

He'd catch you...then you'd be in a world of 💩....! LoL...!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Yes he would Capt, :x :evil: :twisted:
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yup, next time I go on vaca back home I'm going to plan for this. :P :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :D :D
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I hope you have your donor card filled out....CC's bite may be way worse than his bark 💀👹
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

Plant a cam as well and post his reaction to YouTube! I'd even sit through the adverts to watch that! :lol:
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, everything is pretty decent right now on here. It's been getting faster to boot as it's been used (still not fast), and off the dock it actually boots pretty decently fast. Printer working, most applications other than an office suite are good to go (I don't want libreoffice as the only one due to using it at work). They helped me fix the power issue with it ignoring the KDE power setting to do nothing when lid was closed. I installed ksudoku from flathub.

So the only issue left that would allow me to consider adding Void to my list of OS's that are good enough to use is to be able to get a MS Office compatible Office suite.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats a biggie though for you.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:07 am Thats a biggie though for you.
It is.

I'm actually giving it a shot at creating the xbps-src template to install them. Right now I'm waiting on Firefox to compile (xbps-src has 69, but the main repos are still on 68), and then I'm going to test my templates. I tested with updating the template for Vivaldi which was at 2.6.whatever, so I modified that to install 2.7.whatever is current. Seems that the template for a proprietary binary installer is moderately easy looking, so figured "why not try it". Who knows if it'll work, but if it does, I'll be good to go.

I will say, hopefully I don't have to regularly compile Firefox...it's been going over an hour now...