Q4OS 3.8 Centaurus KDE

Discussion on Linux distributions
dai_trying

Re: Q4OS 3.8 Centaurus KDE

Post by dai_trying »

Branding has been mentioned in a thread a while back and I thought they were going to look into it, but I don't really concern myself with wallpapers too much as it is rarely seen (if I'm using the machine I won't see the wallpaper), although I can understand the need to have a default identifiable background that would be instantly recognizable as the distro, if the user doesn't like it they can change it as I think most users seem to do anyway.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My issue is they had a ton of Debian 10 wallpapers but no branded Q4OS wallpapers included with the OS. I show a lot of distros to various people and groups, online reviews and videos are just a few of the reasons to have some branded wallpapers. Its a no brainer in my book and most distros do have branded wallpapers so not that its any huge issue,but its very odd.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its also interesting that the screensaver at the login is also Debian branded.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

If I get some spare time I might see if I can gimp something together and put it forward as a suggestion, I'm sure it could start some others thinking along the same lines. :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I would appreciate that as I think branding is a must for any distro.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So far an extremely stable and easy distro to use for everyday tasks. Ive had no glitches at all and support for my Edock and laptop features has been flawless. Given the light resource usage and nice selection of apps, if this continues in the long term it will become one of my steady distros.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'll be honest, I don't really understand the KDE version of Q4OS. Essentially it's just a KDE respin of Debian. It doesn't really offer anything that Debian doesn't. At least something like Netrunner bundles a newer version of plasma than Debian offers. So it offers SOMETHING. While Q4OS offers a few scripts for installing software easier, it's not like they install software that isn't already available in Debian. As usual, I just don't get the appeal in a "I changed the wallpaper so it's a new distro!!" distro's, which is what I see Q4OS plasma as.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I don't use the Plasma version at all, I was first attracted to Q4OS by trinity and it's low ram footprint, I think the dev's might be heading towards Plasma as the main desktop which (IMO) makes it just another Plasma distro... A shame really, I thought the distro had been going in quite a good direction but now the developing resources will likely be more geared towards Plasma and not trinity which reduces the attraction for me...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its a nice alternative to having to install Debian which for many is a problem(speaking to inexperienced users). Many distros are just Debian with a twist like Netrunner and Neptune so why bother. Q4OS has made their KDE a very simple installation offering the basic,minimal and full install with a few other perks like the software center ,otherwise yes its Debian. Netrunner uses testing so other than the different themes and a few added features like the Mint style updating its just Debian as well.
I prefer KDE and to be honest KDE Neon overall for me is the best KDE distro Ive tried so far, but the Q4OS KDE with its straightforward setup/ala Debian is far more stable than Netrunner or Neptune in my experience. Thats why I like it and Trinity doesnt offer what I want from a modern desktop.
Slapping a Q4OS wallpaper on it to me is fine as they created a good respin and it may also lead people to look and try the Trinity version.
The support for Q4OS is good as well so for new users, it offers a good experience.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Pretty much running it as a Debian 10 install given most of it including themes and screens are Debian anyway. Switched over to Debian wallpapers and such and it runs great so far.
Site Moderator