Q4OS 3.8 Centaurus KDE

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Q4OS 3.8 Centaurus KDE

Post by crosscourt »

Gave the live cd a try last night and liked what I saw. Far cry better than the many bugs I experienced with the TDE version. Its a minimal install as well so you can pretty much add what you want, either thru the software center or Synaptic. Will probably install it when I get a chance and report back as to how it performs. Live DVD had KDE 5.14.5 and 4.19 kernel but will see what happens when I update it. Google Chrome was the default browser which surprised me.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Q4OS 3.8 Centaurus KDE

Post by crosscourt »

Just finished installing and had no issues at all. Install was flawless(using Calameres) and uses the same system as the TDE version offering you a basic,minimal or full desktop install. I chose full desktop and got a nice mix of apps. Printer was auto detected but havent tested wifi yet but doubt there will be any issues.
Very few apps to install and overall setup went very quickly. Very quick and light system. Its interesting as most of the desktop wallpapers were Debian, no Q4OS wallpapers at all.
Switched from Debonaire the default theme to Breeze Dark as I just prefer it. Used both Synaptic and the Q4OS software center to install apps with no issues. Discover didnt annoy me right off the bat when I first booted. Even after updates Im still at KDE 5.14.5 so Ill see if any other updates are available.
Will be back once I test the codecs, check updates further and test wifi.
Im running a E6420 laptop onan Edock and so far no issues including the keyboard backlight.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Wifi works fine, codecs/multimedia use works fine and no additional updates. Resource usage the first time I ran it was around 440mbs at GUI which is excellent. Very stable distro so far.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I have to say I haven't used the Plasma version as I prefer the TDE one, the main reason I started using Q4OS was this as there are sooooo many KDE distros out there and I wanted a distro I could use across all my hardware, unfortunately KDE will not do this, but I have seen a lot of good reviews and the resource usage has been reduced considerably to make it more comparable to even the "light" desktops.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Many KDE distros run in the 400-460mb range resource wise so you dont need a beast of a system to run it. TDE for me has too many issues and I prefer the additional features and interface of KDE far more than TDE. Always been a fan of KDE and this version though quite a bit behind in the KDE version is an excellent distro.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Debian 10.1 will be out in September so maybe it will bring a newer version of KDE.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

crosscourt wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:30 pm Debian 10.1 will be out in September so maybe it will bring a newer version of KDE.
Don't hold your breath, Buster is "Stable" now ;)
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

If they follow the same path as they did in Stretch they should have new versions until KDE reaches a LTS, then stop. The current version (5.14.5) isn't an LTS release. If KDE follows their current plan, that would mean buster would stop upgrading at 5.18 and stay there for the life of the distro.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats what I was reading last night tlmiller thru some articles and that would be fine. Stable to me is far more important than being current and if I find Im not satisfied I can use KDE Neon instead.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Still cant figure out why they included so many Debian wallpapers by default. Youd think they would want some Q4OS branded wallpapers people would use to laud their favorite OS. Got no real response from their site as they seem to think that abstract wallpapers and logo only ones were just fine. Most people have no idea that logo means Q4OS.
Site Moderator