crosscourt

Re: Debian 10 released

Post by crosscourt »

Looking forward to reviews and comments on this release/
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm enjoying it so far. Still using flatpak for gimp/libreoffice/pinta as even freshly released the versions of libreoffice and gimp are slightly outdated. Pinta I just had issues with the packaged versions stability, so switched to flatpak. Other than that, it's not horribly out of date yet. KDE at 5.14.5, so not horribly up to date, but not archaic. Overall, it's what I expect of Debian. A stable base OS with absolute TONS of software available in the repos. The grub screen is MUCH prettier in buster than stretch was, IMO.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Debian just upgraded from Firefox ESR 60 to Firefox ESR 68 (68.2, to be more specific) today. So any debian-based distro's that don't package a newer mainline release will have upgraded as well.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Tried Debian but prefer the comforts of Q4OS and Firefox 69.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I can't get into q4os KDE. It just leaves me feeling like...I just installed a WHOLE lot of packages that I don't want or need. So it takes LONGER for me to get a usable desktop using q4os than doing a netinstall of Debian proper.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They have the minimal and basic installs with the desktop profiler which should suit you. Q4OS is so much faster for me to install than Debian 10 and offers a few nice perks. Netrunner is another one I like for the extras but they dont have a minimal install like Q4OS.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, the minimal works. The basic is WAY too much installed. But it still just feels off. Also, the installer isn't as good on bare metal as Debians. There isn't too many things that if you run the Debian text installer it won't be successful on.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont use text installers even though I have in the past. I like the installer Q4OS uses as it suits my needs and is easy for others to use as well.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've never actually used anything for Debian BUT the text installer. I THINK I attempted the gui installer once like 8 years ago but it failed, so I've only done the text installer since then. It just works so well, why risk it?