Ubuntu Mate 16.04 good choice for Windows crossover users

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Ubuntu Mate 16.04 good choice for Windows crossover users

Post by crosscourt »

Ill post a review later on, but this distro includes a feature called Mate tweaks and you can change the desktop interface to many choices but one of them is Redmond which simulates the look of Windows. Excellent design for those of you coming from Windows and need to feel comfortable. Easy to install and use and a huge number of apps to choose from and install.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Ubuntu Mate 16.04 good choice for Windows crossover users

Post by crosscourt »

Heres the review but remember this is a review of the older version which is now up to 16.04.3.

http://freedompenguin.com/articles/opin ... -desktops/
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just did a fresh install with the most recent iso which uses a modified 4.10 kernel and its very quick. Im impressed with its performance and very much enjoy using the Redmond interface from Mate tweaks. Mate system monitor though reports the memory usage around 660mbs which is wildly wrong.
Install Htop and youll find its around 330mbs, excellent for this DE.

Do not like the software boutique but once you finish installing allow the boutique to install the latest packages, then use search to choose Synaptic package manager and install it. Then do all your other app installs with Synaptic. I do like the separate software updater thats available but you can also use Synpatic for that.

Nice feel, and performance.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Just talking about Mate regardless of distro, I think it really shows that Gnome went the wrong direction with Gnome 3. I dare say that Mate, in what time it's been around, has managed to become more popular overall for linux users than Gnome 3 is in the surprisingly long time it's been around now. Personally, I think Ubuntu would have done themselves a solid if they had chosen to go from Unity to Mate as their default instead of going back to Gnome 3. I know a lot of people decided to quit using Ubuntu because of the decision to go with Gnome.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Most Ubuntu old school users feel that way and on the forums they discuss that all the time. Ubuntu still gives the option for Gnome 2 for those who want to use it, but Ubuntu Mate took that much farther with some unique Mate interfaces.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Theyve updated the kernel to a 4.13 version, Im assuming with some of the patches seen with Mint as well. The updates overall really improved performance, I was surprised. It feels much faster than the last time I used it with the 4.4 kernel.

Only issue I have is they dont install Synaptic package manager by default and you have to use the lousy software boutique to install it. Otherwise the selection of software is very good.
Site Moderator