Mageia 7 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Mageia 7 released

Post by crosscourt »

Mageia 7.1 has already released and worth downloading rather than using the original 7.0 iso.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

First impressions:

After install, nothing worked. After SECOND reboot, suddenly I had a desktop and things worked like they were supposed to. I like the change to dnf, you can use Fedora formatted repos now, so drastically increases the chances of being able to find 3rd party repos that have a chance of working. Not perfect as some of the packages are still named differently. Can't get OnlyOffice to install. FreeOffice does. There's no Nintendo emulators that I can find in the repos, which is unfortunate, as I play a lot of Nintendo roms. Networking still sucks on Mageia. Can't use VPN. I do NOT understand why any distro's still use this antiquated and non-functional net_applet, it's such garbage for anything beyond the most BASIC of functionality. Takes forever to connect to another wireless too, because of how it works. Thankfully it's easy to switch to network management that functions, although their wiki needs updating. Has the wrong networkmanager frontend specified in it, and still shows to use urpmi. So far no programs have failed to work. Default look is...boring, dull. But not ugly, just would expect better. I do like the boot animation, however. Has fstrim timer systemd service by default so no need to manually create the links in order to do periodic trim. So far (in a few hours use), it's been stable. Boot speed is abysmal. Slowing booting OS I've ever seen. Debian on here booted in about 9-12 seconds, this takes nearly a whole minute (50+ seconds). AWFUL.

Overall, seems to be much improved over the older Mageia's, although repos still lag many of the better distro's, and the slow booting will probably not be tolerable for long.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So just did some tests.

From off to login, took 63 seconds.
To reboot, I gave up at 2:30

/done w/ Mageia. Move on to an OS that works.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive had issues with the graphics drivers a bit but overall Mageia 7 has worked well. I stopped using it on one of mt E6420s that has the Optimus technology, otherwise fine with my Intel based laptops. Mageia boots in about 35 seconds on my system.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Works fine other than the boot for me (pure intel system other than Wifi). But literally I tested and it takes over 3 minutes to reboot EVERY time. And the FASTEST boot from cold was 57 seconds. That's just not something I can use when I've got 16 GB ram and a decent quality SSD. Doubly when another OS boots in <15 seconds.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats really odd given Im using older hardware and can boot in around 30-35 seconds, whether its cold or reboot.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Won't disagree there. Definitely is an oddity, doubly given the kernel used.