PC Linux OS 2019.06 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

PC Linux OS 2019.06 released

Post by tlmiller »

more here.

I tested this out today. In a VM, won't even load the desktop for the live session...Wont be trying it on real iron...
crosscourt

Re: PC Linux OS 2019.06 released

Post by crosscourt »

Did you try it in a live session?
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im typing on the live dvd session with PCLOS but had to run it in no boot splash mode but works fine. Nice looking dark theme, lots of apps, very clean overall KDE desktop just as Ive come to expect from PCLOS. LibreOffice 6.2, Firefox, Thunderbird, Strawberry, VLC,Kodi,Audacity to name a few. Performance in live session is quick and smooth, no issues. Its using 443mbs at GUI in live session so thats pretty darn good.
I might install it and see how it goes.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:44 pm Did you try it in a live session?
Yup, just a black screen.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I just installed it using again no boot splash at live session screen and it installed fine. Very quick which I was pleased with and using only 373mbs at GUI. Added some apps like Chrome,K3b, Audacious and Psensor. Psensor you still have to do the chip detection to get it to work which to me is stupid given most distros do it automatically. Printer was not auto installed but installing it was easy. The updater popped up and let me know there were two updates and gave me the choice of apt-get or synaptic. Overall very pleased but still some annoying traits that need to be fixed.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just used xterm, su then sensors-detect so I can get temp readings with Gkrellm which I like a lot. No issues configuring other aspects of the install and wifi works fine, Heading online to check some multimedia and try a few things. No issues with LibreOffice nor Thunderbird. Its interesting as they dont offer Chromium only Chrome in the repos. Ill be back.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Multimedia tests went fine, very responsive. I have to say the recent KDE is amazingly fast and uses very few resources, which is quite the contrast to Zorin with Gnome Shell. KDE 373mbs/ Gnome Shell 1.2gb. Anybody who says KDE is heavy is way off base.

Im going to run it awhile and see what happens.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Been using it constantly since I installed it and its been very stable and quick.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Theyve got some codec issues with certain websites online that have no issues with my other distros. The cursor when in the broser is noi longer black and shifts to white making it hard to see. There are also some minor glitches .
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Some improvements as many updates showed up. Website issues are gone, codec issues are gone as well and performance seems a bit more snappy.

Still have issues with the cursor and when you look at pdf attachments in Thunderbird, it defaults to Gimp instead of document viewer. This is something that never happens with Zorin or Mint versions.

There are some other glitches and honestly it apperars PCLOS is simply never going to make a bigger change and clean things up and really make more improvements.

Im typing on Linux Mint Mate 19.1 and the difference is like night and day.
Site Moderator