Zorin OS 15 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: Zorin OS 15 released

Post by tlmiller »

To an extent I've seen the same. Although on my desktop (Debian 9 + neptune plasma 5.12.7) I usually set at around 2-2.5 GB ram used. But then, it's got 16 GB and I've got a lot of stuff usually running simultaneously.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im an average user with not a lot open so it takes quite awhile for me to get around 2gb as I tend to linger around 1.6gb most of the time. I use to worry about that more back in the day but running 8gb on all my systems now, so its not really an issue.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, the only machine I have where it hurts is the Chuwi, and even there, it's not RAM that's the issue, it's the CPU being...low end. With 6 GB I've never even managed to use 50%, but I can slam all 4 cores to 100% with NO issues.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I was a bit amazed at the good reviews given to Zorin by Forbes, Cnet, ZDnet,Techradar and PCWorld. Not that it doesnt deserve good reviews but typically you dont see well known sites jump on the same bandwagon very often.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My wife likes Zorin, amazingly and Ive decided to switch to it as my everyday distro, particularly to help support her when she makes the move.
Windows user found it very easy to get use to with some variations of course.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I hear they (Ubuntu) are going to be switching to purely snap packages soon(ish) I am not a fan of them so just one more good reason not to try any Ubuntu flavour any more.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They arent going to just snap to my knowledge anytime soon but Zorin already supports snap and flatpak can be added as well. Ill wait and see what happens but not too worried about it to be honest. Theyve been talking about Ubuntu going to just snap since 2015 and it hasnt happened.
For the average user it wouldnt be such a bad thing but again Ill wait and see. Im a much more casual Linux user these days so I dont have any major concerns.

Heres just one article discussing the snap rumor that got started earlier this year.

https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-snap-replaces-apt-blueprint/
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

There was some discussion over on the Debian forum about it and it sounded like they were looking to do it soon, but it could just be gossip and rumour.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its gossip and many forums want to whip up rumors just to bang on Ubuntu. Zorin devs themselves said its not going to happen as well as recent comments from the Mint devs on their respective forums.

I have no patience for unsubstantiated comments made with no references to sources or links in articles, or in comments made in forums.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just installed Zorin 15 on my Dell E6420 and it was a great experience. Wifi worked great, no issues with the backlit keyboard and all devices working fine. Speed is excellent and given Im running 8gb of ram its only using 1.25gb presently. Will try on dock to see if it works but so far its excellent.
Friend of mine installed it on a touch screen based device and the touch screen layout worked perfectly as well as Zorin Connect.
Site Moderator