Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Zorin OS 15 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Zorin OS 15 released

Post by crosscourt »

Ill give this a look as it has some nice new features in it, Im somewhat interested in.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I like a few of the features, but the whole "windows themed" turns me off horribly.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It doesnt bother me that much and overall its been a good distro, particularly for some of my clients.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Memory usage is high 1.3gb at the GUI and I havent done anything yet.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Always had trouble with Zorin,... I really liked the way it looked,but it would not install in any of my computers without a lot of hassle... I'll stick with MX-18
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Never had many issues with Zorin, particularly recently but it uses a lot of resources and as tlmiller commented, the Windows style interface isnt for everyone.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im typing on it now and at GUI its using around 1gb of memory and while onsite here about 1.3gb. Ive made no optimizations at this point. Printer and ethernet were seen easily. Very nice OS, clean, fast, Windows style but you can change that if you like as there are a lot of optimizations available. No issues so far and many of the new features such as the adaptable brightness control work fine. They put some effort into this one and it really shows.
Ill post back once I try it more but Firefox and LibreOfffice are installed a long with quite a few other good apps. If youve used Zorin before, youll have no issues navigating but even Windows users and users of other distros will do fine with Zorin.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Gnome Shell uses a lot of resources compared to KDE in the distros I normally use but it sire looks pretty. Beautiful overall appearance with many features to enhance it further. Will report back once Ive played with it more.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im using the core version and you dont get extra themes or goodies with this version. It takes getting use to as to where to find certain settings with Gnome Shell but you get use to it. All app installs went fine and there are a few minor glitches but nothing huge. Resource use after optimization is 1.1gb at GUI using Htop and they include Flatpack but I turned it off. Very quick OS and has far fewer speed issues than the last version. Except for a minor glitch with the Firefox homepage default and trying to find the setting for the 12 hour clock format, really easy to use. KDE is far more customizable but this design will attract many users.
Good experience both with hardware and software and no issues so far with apps and online use.
Site Moderator