Zorin OS 15 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: Zorin OS 15 released

Post by tlmiller »

Does it use the "normal" gnome-settings?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Yes but not entirely.
They say all you need is 2gb of ram to use it and thats crazy as the system uses 1.15gb at GUI and while onsite here Im using 1.6gb. You best have at least 4gb if you use Zorin but performance is excellent. No slowdowns at all and overall app launch speed is excellent.

Im impressed with Zorin and will continue to test and use it.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, to be fair Gnome3 says you need 2 GB, but that's laughable. I have 16 GB on my work system in order to get it to truly be SMOOTH running.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im using 8gb but 4gb would work fine. The OS is beautiful and quite nice to behold. They did a good job improving on the last version that had some problems and added enough goodies to make it a fun distro to use. Reviews from itsfoss, Forbes and ZDNet were very flattering towards Zorin 15.
They only use a version of the 4.18 kernel though so some hardware users may have issues. In my case it really doesnt matter.
It also supports Snap out of the box but also includes Flatpak support.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got Zorin 15 running on my second pc so I can do long term testing. Typing on it now and enjoying using it.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I am interested in seeing if the zorinconnect Android app would connect with KDEConnect on the desktops. The KDEConnect Android app expects too new of a version of desktop application so that it only works with Arch or Neon. Any other Plasma 5 has too old and only a few of the features work, the most important to me (file browsing and transfer of the phone from your desktop) does not.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I havent tried Zorinconnect yet but my wife was interested to see if it would work.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Outside of the high resource usage, 1.1-1.6gb in general use there are no major issues with Zorin. The customized Google search pages for the browsers have a tendency to not show up and leave you with a blank page. If you try to change to a custom URL it doesnt seem to hold for some reason. Not a major issue and Im sure they will get it cleaned up given the recent release of this distro. Otherwise excellent product thats fun to use, easy to install and navigate, plus its really pretty.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Between recent updates and what I like to call the eventual memory usage optimization, memory usage has dropped into the 1-1.2gb range. Ive always noticed with many distros that after you install, over time memory usage always seems to get better.
Site Moderator