Zorin OS 15 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Zorin OS 15 released

Post by crosscourt »

Really nice distro for the everyday user or Windows user looking for an alternative. Ive recently tried some other distros that just released and they were far more disappointing in comparison with Zorin. If the Windows style menu doesnt annoy you youll enjoy this distro.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Really pleased that it works with my Dell E6420 with Edock and backlit keyboard. Typing on it now and its fast and flexible.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its interesting as my most recent Dell E6420 only had 4gb of ram and Zorin instead of using 1.3 at boot its only using 1gb of ram. Overall ram usage is down 200-300mb using only 4gb of ram.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Not that surprising. you'll see the same thing with KDE and even Gnome3. They'll adjust their usage based on how much ram you have. 16GB they'll throw ram at it like it's free beer. 8 GB they'll still be plenty generous, but not quite free beer level. 4 GB, they'll start getting frugal.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive seen this before and Im always impressed by this versus what I typically see with Windows. Typically Gnome Shell distros arent quite this adaptable with ram versus KDE for instance.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, no, they're not. At 2 GB Gnome chokes on itself and dies. KDE/XFCE will run. They won't run what I'd call WELL, but they'll run. Even 4 GB Gnome is....difficult...to work with. At that point KDE/XFCE is just fine.

That's one of the reasons I always see 1.0+ GB at idle, most all my machines have 16 GB ram.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive rarely run more than 4gb with Linux distros for quite some time as most are very frugal and simply dont need more ram given my overall user habits.
Thats changed a bit now as Im using my laptops differently as my main systems.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I've always operated under the "you can NEVER have TOO MUCH ram" banner whenever I was able to justify it financially. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats my issue, keeping it affordable.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Ergo my reason why I'm scouring Craigslist every day hoping to run into a killer deal. :D