Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

OpenMandriva LX 4.0 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: OpenMandriva LX 4.0 released

Post by tlmiller »

Hopefully it has improved significantly from the betas....or its probably not worth taking the time.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive read some user reviews and so far it looks to be pretty much like the RC which I didnt care for to be honest.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im running it in a live dvd session. Took awhile to get into the session but looks good so far. I cant change the resolution from 1600x1200 to 1280x1024 in live session. Falkon is the browser(Chromium based), not a big fan. Theyve moved to dnf and the dnf dragora updater is included, which I have mixed feelings about but not a big deal. It takes after ROSA a bit more than I expected which is a good thing but will have to install this to see if I can get certain functions to work like resolutions.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Tried to install and after repeated attempts each time after saying I wanted to erase the disk and setup swap the distro told me the installation had failed. It may be an issue with Calameres and the type of partition but honestly Ive never seen an issue like this after trying hundreds of distros.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Retried installing OM tonite on a drive that had another distro using a typical Ext4 install, Tried to erase the disk and install OM and installation warning again. Then I wiped the drive myself then tried again and it still wouldnt work. Then tried a drive with no os on it at all and then it wanted to install finally. After installing other versions of OM Ive never had this issue before and its a deal breaker. My other distros this is a snap and your on your way to installing. Very disappointed and honestly Im moving on for now. PCLinuxOS was fine, ROSA is great and Mageia looks to be good as well. Maybe OM will fix this issue at some point.

Mageia continues to be the better bearer of the Mandriva tradition.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Still no luck but installing to a fresh empty drive works every time.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Retried trying to install OM by erasing the disk which contained PCLinuxOS which should have auto setup the partitions and the swap I indicated but again an installer failure warning. You cant seem to install OM on a drive that has another OS on it by replacing it with OM. Blank drive works fine but all my other distros can do this with no issues including PCLOS,ROSA,Mageia and Fedora.
Again OM disappoints me so Ill just wait for Mageia 7.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

What confuses me more is ROSA R11 uses Calameres and I dont have any issues with it doing installs.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Theyve got the 4.1 alpha released and Im hoping it may have some fixes as well as more up to date software this time around.
Site Moderator