What distros have you been testing recently?

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: What distros have you been testing recently?

Post by tlmiller »

I've really enjoyed Endeavour myself. Currently have it installed on 2 systems. My fastest laptop, the Thinkpad T14 Gen2 AMD, and my newest (until my K14 arrives), the Latitude 5420 (which is my next to lowest performance despite how new it is, shows how bad Intels mobile looked for a while). Runs near flawlessly on both of them, easy to keep updated, and just runs smoothly nowadays. My only Fedora currently is my VM at work, which is on my bad side, as the shared clipboard doesn't work every boot, so often I need to reboot the VM in the middle of the day to get my shared clipboard to work. That annoys me.
Been using Q4OS again a lot recently since I now have bare metal to install it on again (T495 thanks to the K14 coming in). It's not perfect, but they do have a lot of tweaks that make it nicer than a pure Trinity (ability to switch the menu to categories view so it flattens it, debonaire theme, etc.).
Also still testing OpenSUSE a lot. I have the bare metal install of Tumbleweed that's currently setting on my desk awaiting the K14 to put it in. I have a VM of Tumbleweed on my Inspiron 7415, and I have a VM of LEAP 15.4 on my desktop.
At this point I've migrated all my Debian installs to the ultra-franken-debian so that they're Debian bullseye, with all available backports packages, KDE Plasma from experimental, and all the packages that experimental relies upon from sid (along with a few other packages that got affected by having libraries installed from Sid). It works great, but who knows how long it's going to maintainable before it explodes. But I've been using Debian longer than any other base distro, so I have gotten fairly knowledgeable in how to fix it after causing it to explode.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im presently using, Zorin, Q4OS(my Debian install with perks), Neon and PCLinuxOS. Going to take another look at Feren again to see what theyre doing.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Installed Feren and what a pain in the butt. Still has issues with Broadcom wifi cards and the desktop has been customized and has many issues. Not a smooth experience like Zorin. Done with Feren.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Decided to try Feren again and finally got the wifi working. Was also able to get the customized desktop to do things my way but it still doesnt act like your typical KDE distro. They are still on 5.24.5 which surprised me but they are using the 5.13 kernel.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

At this point that kernels getting long in the tooth given it's not a LTS kernel. It was declared EOL in September of last year...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Many Ubuntu based distros use the 5.13 kernel. Im not sure if Zorin is using 5.13 or 5.15. Most 20.04 Ubuntu based distros are using 5.4.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, but 5.4 is still supported. It's a LTS kernel and will be supported until 2025. 5.15 is also a LTS kernel, and while currently it's only suppported until October 2023, it may very well be extended by years if it's popular enough. My KDE Neon uses 5.15, which I'm perfectly fine with, although I do hope they soon release the newer, rebased Neon. 5.13 on the other hand is that odd man out, being already coming up on a year out of actual kernel developers support. I'm sure Ubuntu is still releasing patches for it, but...how much do I trust Canonical compared to the standard kernel devs? This is, IMO, the biggest thing Debian did right with Bullseye that they failed with Buster, they chose to release with a LTS kernel. IMO, they should always stick to the latest LTS kernel for releases, saves their devs a lot of working having to backport all these patches.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont have an issue with Ubuntu continuing to patch the 5.13 kernel. Ive had no issues with similar situations in the past.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I guess I just really don't trust CAnonical. I'd trust Debian, sure. Even RedHat despite their somewhat BS practices in the last years. Or OpenSUSE team. But Canonical...I just don't trust them.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Dont really understand youre lack of trust to be honest and Debian has screwed up majorly over the years at times. I do remember Linus talking about the fact that hes been consulted by distros using the patched unsupported kernels so I just dont see it as a major issue. Certainly anything stupid that happens will directly affect them so who doesnt want to avoid that. I have no major issues with Ubuntu or Ubuntu based distros as well as Debian based distros.
Site Moderator