Members

Report problems with the forums
crosscourt

Members

Post by crosscourt »

Id like to invite any readers to join the site and our members to encourage some of their friends, who might like to start posting here. It'll be slow for a time, but if we can get a small lively group of posters, it will encourage others.

Appreciate your help! CC
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Members

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been talking to people in other forums over time to try and gain members. Its been a tough go as the site doesnt have a strong image and many wonder why they should join here . General forums tend to be a tough sell but Ill continue to try and push the site. Would appreciate any help any of you can provide in finding some new members.

Occasionally I run into sites/forums that are winding down and looking for a new home. May be able to convince some to come over, we'll see what happens.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I don't ever mention it on the main board I'm on (being a mod there, it would be in poor taste for me to mention another boards), but on a few others I've mentioned it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Same here as I dont discuss recruiting people on sites where Im part of the management. Most of the sites Im on, im just a member posting and I talk to people away from the forums.

Getting some responses though from many Ive contacted but they dont understand where the site is going, whats the purpose of the site based on its front page.. The front page also is only focused on Debian and Q4OS and that throws people a bit as they arent sure why they should join the forums even though the forums are general.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I have to say I have no Idea where the site is going as I created it mainly for publishing some helpful (or not) information for other Linux users (yes mainly Q4OS as it is my main OS).
I created this forum partially as you (CC) expressed an interest in being involved in a general Linux chat forum, As for the direction it is heading, that is going to be mainly down to what users want, if something gets suggested I will do my best to accommodate it. I do not have a "vision" and just post things I think might be of interest to some.

I am very open to suggestions and could very likely arrange whatever is wanted/needed. And suggestion for the main site landing page would also be welcomed, I have not had a lot of time to update it recently but am hoping to add more content soon.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm an "any way the wind blows" kinda guy, so I'm no help with visions for the future.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The best way to go would be to become a full blown Debian site and report on Debian based distros and other aspects of Debian. Both you Dai and tlmiller are both Debian fans so it would be easy to handle posts in the forums and the both of you could add content to the front page. It would also allow Dai to continue to promote and support Q4OS as well.
Im here for the ride and love being in good general forums so Ill try to keep the forums humming. I appreciate the fact that you gave me a home in the general forums and Im still working on getting more forum members. The last website I launched it took us over a year to decide on our focus, set it up, test and get it up and running. I work for two other sites so this project Im hoping down the road will become a new developing site.

I think the two of you would be a great team in regards to creating the Debian vibe here onsite/front page and the forums should take care of themselves as interest grows. Till then tlmiller and i will keep posting in the forums to keep us out there so search engines will see us.

Let me know what you think and the Debian focus will work in the forums as a huge number of distros are Debian based.

My hope was that by this time next year we would have both an active front page so we are seen more easily by search engines and a more active forum.
Im in no rush but also want to slowly create some buzz.
Ive always been a distro hopper and have always used multiple distros for research and reviews. I rarely stay with distros very long even though i lean toward certain distros. I understand Dai's stance and thats why i wanted to work in the forums as it suits me better being able to talk about a variety of topics.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I also want to say that if you decide to drop the forums and just run your front page thats fine. I work on two other general tech sites so I stay busy but there are times when you look forward to something different and new.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

Tbh I'm not sure why we need to have focus on any particular distro/category/genre, doesn't that then deviate from a "general Linux chat forum" to become a "specific Linux chat forum"?
If you think this forum isn't working as you expected or doesn't cater to what your anticipated demographic expect then let me know what you think it needs and we can work on it.
OTOH if you feel the forum is going nowhere and think it should be dropped again let me know...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im not talking about the forums Dai, Im talking about the main page of the site needs a theme or focus. The forums would have areas that would reflect your front page focus, but you can still talk about anything you like as its still a general Linux forum.

I dont think the forums should be dropped but honestly thats not my decision. We havent been around long enough to be seen and noticed yet, but for instance if news or articles were posted on your front page, particularly unique content, that gets seen and you tend to get more readers. Link the articles to the forum and you eventually get members who want to discuss.

I was on a forum of just 8 people who left some pretty well known tech sites as part of their staff. We did it so we could hang out and talk about anything we liked for a change. Im just as happy talking to tlmiller and you for the time being as I dont have any vested financial interest in the site. Im here for the ride as I said and lets see where it goes. Going to keep looking for more members for the time being.
Site Moderator