Distro Information

Report problems with the forums
tlmiller

Distro Information

Post by tlmiller »

Just a suggestion, nothing important, but one of my favorite features of linuxquestions is that it shows an icon that tells what the useragent is of the browser you're posting from. So if you have your distro information in the useragent (instead of just generic linux), it'll show the icon in the post. If easily implemented, I think that's a really nice thing to see in posts, since it gives an idea at a glance of what someone's using.
crosscourt

Re: Distro Information

Post by crosscourt »

Once the site grows more Dai can look at it.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I'm not sure if I like that idea or not, I use more than one distro so would my posts reflect what OS I was posting from at the time? rather than the OS being discussed?
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, it just shows what you're using when you post. It's mostly helpful if someone just posts with "I have issue X", if they're using the default browser in many distro's it adds the distro information to the user agent, so it can save time. It's also just nice to see the variety of distro's that people use.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its interesting but honestly not something thats really necessary. LinuxQuestions is a very mature forum that has many members and has been around a long time, so theyve refined themselves over time. Most forums dont have that feature and posts still get handled.

Im more from the keep it simple school particularly when youve only got one admin.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

No, definitely not necessary, it's more of a "nice" addition.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I just had a look on linuxquestions.org forum and couldn't see anything like you mentioned, is it only visible when logged in?
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yes, only available when logged in. And I'm having issues with uploading pics...
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Lower left corner. You can see posts from unknown linux, Windows 7, and Debian (with one not showing any).
Last edited by tlmiller on Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

OH, I wasn't uploading to the forums, I'm used to using 3rd party, but the one I usually use (tinypic) isn't working.