Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

25 years later: Interview with Linus Torvalds

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: 25 years later: Interview with Linus Torvalds

Post by crosscourt »

Its interesting that he himself was amazed that Linux became such a big deal and didnt fall away as just another interesting project. Torvalds at least for me over the years was one of the more entertaining tech figures in an era where there were many, like Jobs and Gates.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Torvalds recently has been really active about wanting to get a standardized version of Linux for desktops and has pointed towards Chromebooks and Android being better choices.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

While I can't disagree, I also can't see that ever happening due to the very nature of open source. People who support deb will say RPM is too slow. People who support pure .tar.gz packages will say any form of package management is wrong. Etc. There's simply no way to standardize how everything is packaged and installed while simultaneously supporting freedom of choice.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

He sees the Linux desktop world as being mainly controlled by Red Hat,Canonical and SUSE so hes not concerned with the many distros that may or may not be there in the years to come. In fact he sees many of those distros as a huge issue given the pressure they are under to keep churing out new versions, Solus being a good example of how bad things can get and recent tensions with the Mint development team

I think we can have both worlds but I dont disagree with Torvalds.
Site Moderator