DeBloat Windows10

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
dai_trying

Re: DeBloat Windows10

Post by dai_trying »

I just checked to make sure the updater was working correctly and I had One update for Windows Defender which was downloaded and installed in no time at all. I'm still really happy with this. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Win10 forced an install on one of my pcs, it updated and corrupted my entire hard drive, Ive had two no boots and a range of other issues. Having used every version of Windows ever created, hands down Win10 is the most obnoxious,intrusive and bug ridden piece of crap Ive ever used.
Youre completely dependent on the quality of a particular build or set of updates and updating has been a wild and crazy issue.

Win10 doesnt compare well to Linux in any way and I guess you were just lucky not to have run any of the problem builds or updates.

i wont use Win10 unless I absolutely have to.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

You wont be once you get a bad update and there has been many, so Im guessing you havent used Win10 on a regular basis the last few years.
They like using customers as beta testers.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I have had the complete opposite experience to you really, with the exception of having all the bloat to deal with that slows down everything you do. But after running this script I can't praise it enough, but I will give it some time to see how it goes.

I have always heard the many complaints that windows has done this and that but have not personally experienced this ever, the worst cases I have had are with malware and viruses back in the Xp days and although I now understand better how to avoid most of this by using good practises when on-line I am still very vigilant for unexpected behaviour from a windows system.

And don't forget almost every Linux user is a beta tester too, I'm not saying M$ is better in any way than Linux but that is one argument that is actually as bad if not worse with Linux especially the "rolling release" type distros.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I appreciate your balanced approach to the discussion but Ive been a long term Windows user and have had a lot of issues over the years so my perspective is far different. Ive dealt with so many issues with Win10 with friends and clients Ive gotten a heavy dose of how poorly Microsoft handles updates in particular. No OS is perfect but Linux doesnt put you in that position very often and corrections are quick to come.

Ive used quite a few rolling release distros and the experience overall has been very good.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I'm not saying the experience will be bad (mostly) but it is still just a "testing" arena.

I will continue to use Windows more and try to log in daily for a while to test if anything starts going wrong but I am at this point quite optimistic about it. :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Once youve been using it for years, post back and lets see what you think, LOL!!!
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I guess just for the sake of argument I'll throw my opinion in. Obviously, I will preface with it that I haven't used Windows as my PRIMARY OS since Windows 98SE/2000. By the time of XP's release I was moving over to Linux for my primary OS. So I may have quite different take to some due to the fact that Windows to me is just something to keep around to play games on.

So, Win10 is ugly. It's horribly ugly. ANd riddled with tracking, MOST of which can (easily) be turned off, but not ALL. PERFORMANCE though, if you have adequate hardware, is actually quite good. 3d performance in most games is SUPERIOR to Win7/8/8.1 on the same hardware. And it's able to run smoothly on hardware that Gnome/KDE Plasma 5 pre-5.12.x would bog down on (my HP 14-an030nr). I've also not had too horrible issues, mostly. I've had a few issues (when released, my Windows 7 wouldn't upgrade, I've had 1 update kill it since). Overall, I'll say that if I had to use it every day, I'm not sure I could. I hate the UI too much. But to log into and play a few games, then boot back to linux, I have no issues with Win10.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I was actually quite surprised with Win10 (in a good way) when I purchased a new laptop with it pre-installed, although I had a few issues with the pre-installed software and decided to do away with the Dell software and download and install Win10 from the M$ image instead. This solved a few of the speed issues but it was still considerably slower than running Linux in a Virtual Machine with minimal specs and a Linux host, although going from memory it was equal in this respect to my last Vista machine.
I have kept it on my laptop mainly because it came with it, also it can't do any harm to have a spare OS in case of emergency. I did find that with my modest hardware it would finally stop using resources (cpu/file) if I left it alone for around 10-15 minutes and that helped with the running speed as I guess M$ had finished it's stuff (whatever it actually was).

With all this said I can never see me using Windows again as my primary system, it is simply too foreign to me now, When I used Xp and Vista I was supporting quite a few Windows users and had a reasonably good working knowledge of it, but having missed everything from then until Win10 (about 12-18 months ago for me) a lot of the underbelly is less understood and since using Linux I have never thought of using Windows in the same way.

Just to add as a note I will be posting here too if I have any problems running Windows after this DeBloat script and will be installing some programs and doing more testing over the next month or so to see how it develops, but so far so good.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The biggest issue with Win10 is you never know what youre going to get. Its changed hugely since it released and lets say you find a build you like,dont get too comfortable. Since they intend to continue to make changes with each build, more than likely youll find it to be completely different over time
The builds are a mixed bag, on top of the continuing issues with updates. Win7 when it first launched had issues and most Windows releases that was the case but once they got its first service pack it was an excellent OS and still is. I use Windows for gaming as well, thats it. Since Im not loving recent games Im sticking to Win7 and will play my older games on it for the forseeable future. Im moving to gaming on Linux over time for newer games.

I agree with tlmiller as the UI is just ugly and I cant bring myself to use it. My wish would be to go back to individual releases with service packs and give people a time period where they can use a product in its present form rather than changing it constantly over a shorter time.
Site Moderator