DeBloat Windows10

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
dai_trying

DeBloat Windows10

Post by dai_trying »

I found this github page via a youtube video which shows how to remove most (nearly all) of the bits of Windows10 that you are unlikely to use or just don't want to have around. With that said there are people that want some of the features that are going to be removed so it is best to make sure you really want to run this or check the script and modify it to suit your needs.

I have downloaded this and i had re-installed Windows10 last week (changed HDD), so I'll give it a quick test and post some before/after test results when I get it done.

I know I don't use Windows more that a few times a year but if this works as expected it might make it almost worth using M$ again :D
crosscourt

Re: DeBloat Windows10

Post by crosscourt »

If youve got new oem hardware this could be an issue as youll lose your software warranty, so be aware and some companies will void your hardware warranty if you make substancial changes to the Win10 install.

The other issue here is, if youve got a lot of Microsoft apps installed from their store, it will remove those as well.

As always read carefully before you try this and understand throughly.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I've had this machine longer than the warranty now so I can't see that as an issue for me. Also the scripts have a reverse function to put everything back how it was if required.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats assuming it works ok for everyone as installs vary wildly(removing or restoring) and Microsoft store apps would be removed as well. Given the issues with various builds Im luke warm on this one.

In the comments under the video he apologized for the script uninstalling Ubuntu it appears, so Im going to guess that others may have had issues.
It also appears that its most advantageous to use this script before a user profile is configured.

I havent had a request to install Win10 in quite some time, many Linux requests and quite a few Win7 requests.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I have one install myself and one machine I support has it so if this works it will be great. As I said my install is only a week old so no problems with other software and I think his Ubuntu was installed within Windows. All my Linux installs are not even seen my Windows so I don't see that as a problem either (for me at least).
And when using an existing system you can simply run the script and then create a new profile which will be clean.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Most people dont have clean installs and a lot of additional apps so my guess many problems will ensue. Microsoft store apps theyre going to need to be careful.

As I said Im luke warm on this one but will read more comments about it before recommending to anyone. I dont have an install presently to try it on so cant test.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Heres the support forum as it appears there have been many issues,

https://github.com/W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10/issues
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

Worked a treat on my laptop!!! It is really unbelievable as I no longer have all the crap from the start menu loading all the time and even Edge opens really quickly and there is no delay when searching. I also installed Firefox (latest Windows version) and that runs fantastic! I noticed the cpu usage is A LOT lower than before although RAM usage is only down a little but it is always high with Win10 anyway. I also installed TeamViewer which is running without issue (and fast), so all the main programs I currently need are (so far) running as I want them to.

I checked all the bug reports from the github page before running the script and there was nothing that really concerned me so decided it was worth a shot.

I'm not saying this would work as smoothly for a system that has been well used and has quite a few applications installed and services required but it is exactly what I needed and the script now lives on my main flash-drive with my other usefull bits and pieces.

P.s. The issues you posted relate to another version of this script, the issues for the one I have (from link in OP) are here.
https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater/issues
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thanks for the link. Glad its working for you, but just wanted to make it clear to readers that need to understand whats going to happen. Many apps and features can still be pulled manually but better to be safe than sorry. Its really been the same issue with all versions of Windows particularly since WinXP as a lot of crap has to be removed and unneeded apps turned off at boot.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I have found that this version of Windows is the most intrusive EVER!! I have never been forced to see adverts from the start button (that damn stupid wall of crap that appears) which is probably one of my bigger bug bearers, but there are all sorts of malware that is running that you never use and cannot normally just easily remove or switch off. This script has made ma a very happy camper (so far) but if I notice any issues in the future I will post them here to aid in readers decision making.

Just a note, this will likely increase my Windows usage by around 600% and that's no joke, I always had to force myself to boot into it for updates and always had to wait what seems like forever to be able to work on it properly, now I can use it almost in the same way as Linux.