Windows 7 users, will you switch to Windows 10 or Linux?

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Windows 7 users, will you switch to Windows 10 or Linux?

Post by crosscourt »

Im moving to Linux full time as are many of my friends, colleagues and clients. The many issues with Win10 are a complete turn off and even many businesses in my area are considering doing paid support for Win7.

Will you or your friends or colleagues be avoiding Win10?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Windows 7 users, will you switch to Windows 10 or Linux?

Post by tlmiller »

At work, most people are moving to Win10, although a dozen or so Dev's and myself have moved to linux (I might also be getting a smaller laptop, YAY!!!!).

At home, well, obviously I moved to full time Linux a LONG time ago...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I remember being in Best Buy and typing on a Win10 system and people were watching my reactions as i was so disgusted by it in general. Ive used many Windows versions and some ive disliked but ive never experienced something as bad as Win10.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I was a regular user of Xp and Vista back in the day and never used 7/8.x although I am quite surprised how well Win 10 seems to work on my laptop. Not saying it holds any where near the appeal of Linux (any distro) but it has worked ok for me on the rare occasions I have used it.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I used a LOT of Windows 95 and 98. By XP, I had already mostly migrated away from actively using Windows.
chris

Post by chris »

Why bother badmouthing Windows on a Linux site? Although I use various Linux distributions regularly, I quite like Windows 10. (Ducks and runs for cover). Cheers.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

We're not badmouthing, per se. We're simply stating when we personally stopped liking it, if we have. Just so happens most of us don't like it for one reason or another.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im using Windows 7 right now so Im not badmouthing Windows, just dont care for Win10. So far Win10 installed itself on my computer without permission and several upgrades caused my pc to not not boot or corrupted files. It took some doing to not allow Win10 to send out info without my permission and the overall attitude from Microsoft seems to be they dont really care. I spend a lot of time trying to correct issues with Win10 with friends and clients.
In fact ive been using Windows as my only OS from the Win3.1 days till 2006 where i began using Linux.
The only other Windows version I didnt like was WinME.

I bring up this topic here because many Windows users are interested in checking out Linux and bringing them here to discuss the overall advantages is definitely appropriate. Other Linux sites have had articles about alternatives to Win10 and betanews.com had an article asking why not switch to Netrunner 19.01 instead of Win10.

If you use and like Win10, more power to you, different strokes for different folks but many dont like it including myself for various reasons.
I will say though that the number of switchovers of Win10 or Win7 to Linux among my circles is quite high.

My question would be, will you use any version of Linux? Why are you using your present version of Linux, better than others? I see many posts where people really dislike certain distros, Arch is one of those to me. Its all about choices and something fitting your needs, hardware and experience with as few problems as possible.
Site Moderator
chris

Post by chris »

I find a lot of Linuxes as quite OK. But I use MATE as the desktop; if I can't get MATE loaded I don't use it. My latest Linux is Void 20181111. I have also recently tried OpenIndiana (Solaris) 11 which I like a lot (learning curve) and Antix 17 - both with MATE desktop. I also put MATE on Slackware 14. Others Ubuntu-MATE, LMDE, Mint. Now trying to get MATE on RaspberryPi - no luck yet; but I haven't tried very hard.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im a big fan of Mate and have used it with many distros, Ubuntu Mate and Fedora Mate two favorites. I like a number of DEs, KDE,XFCE,LXDE and Mate.
Site Moderator