Microsoft and Windows 7 update issues

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Microsoft and Windows 7 update issues

Post by crosscourt »

Obviously they are trying to frustrate us so they can push us to Win10 that has major update issues. lately win7 has been having some Windows update issues, not with the patches themselves but with the updater. Ive been living with the Windows diagnostic tool and clearing caches to correct issues.

if you dont update regularly beware as it gets complicated and dicey.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Microsoft and Windows 7 update issues

Post by crosscourt »

Got things squared away on both my systems and friends but my advice to everyone if possible, check for updates once a month. Even with that, there are no guarantees.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'd also add, if you have to reinstall a system, I use WSUS Offline due to how long Windows Updates takes to find updates on a freshly installed Win7 system.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I used to use WSUS offline for my Vista installations but had given up on Windows until my new laptop arrived with Win10 so I kept it in case of emergency, the only problem I have is remembering to boot into it occasionally to update it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The sheer number of updates is crazy when you do fresh installs of Win7. They need to create a single download such as you saw with SP series in XP and Vista. Most of my friends and customers really couldnt deal with WSUS offline.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ill never use Win10, too many issues and Win7 is the last Windows for me.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

dai_trying wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:01 pm I used to use WSUS offline for my Vista installations but had given up on Windows until my new laptop arrived with Win10 so I kept it in case of emergency, the only problem I have is remembering to boot into it occasionally to update it.
I had that issue on my couple laptops that still had Windows on it a few years ago, that's why I eventually moved to all linux. Realized that if I can't even remember to do updates for 6 months, I obviously don't actualy NEED the OS.
crosscourt wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:03 pm The sheer number of updates is crazy when you do fresh installs of Win7. They need to create a single download such as you saw with SP series in XP and Vista. Most of my friends and customers really couldnt deal with WSUS offline.
One thing I did for one of the last people I used to help with Windows was reinstall his Windows, use WSUS offline, then burn a DVD+R/DL with all the updates offline patches in a directory on it and a batch file on the root so that if he had to reinstall, he just runs the batch file, and it's at least current as to whenever I had created it.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

tlmiller wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:06 pm
dai_trying wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:01 pm I used to use WSUS offline for my Vista installations but had given up on Windows until my new laptop arrived with Win10 so I kept it in case of emergency, the only problem I have is remembering to boot into it occasionally to update it.
I had that issue on my couple laptops that still had Windows on it a few years ago, that's why I eventually moved to all linux. Realized that if I can't even remember to do updates for 6 months, I obviously don't actualy NEED the OS.
I have to admit it has only been booted into 3 times in the last 6 months and once was an accident, I selected the wrong entry in the boot menu when I was rushing :lol: I will try to keep it running though as long as I can unless I get another machine win M$ and then I would wipe it as I couldn't imagine trying to update 2 Windows machines!!!
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Definitely feel you there. I think when I moved away from Windows on everything but my desktop I had 3 Windows installs still. I still have my desktop, since I do play games on occasion, so I DO boot that at least every other month to do updates (even if i don't realize I haven't done updates).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got 8 Win7 installs so it takes a lot of effort to maintain. I use Win7 for gaming as well but in regards to creating update discs for customers, most actually want to move to Linux and Im not going to make it any easier for them to stick to Windows.

Most of these people have seen some of my Cinnamon and KDE distros and were instantly interested.
Site Moderator