Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Best Linux marketing campaigns

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Best Linux marketing campaigns

Post by crosscourt »

I actually partially remember the Peace,Love,Linux back then but I was a Windows user and didnt pay much attention. Didnt get into Linux much until 2006-2007
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I remember several of them. I had all but switched to linux full time by the time any of these came out.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I remember when Best Buy actually sold Linux in boxes in their stores. It was a great time as a lot of software was available.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yup, bought cd's from Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples. Used to have a subscription to a couple magazines because they would several times a year ship CD's/DVD's (depending on the year) in them and so when I lived at home (dial-up) that allowed me to try out the different distro's without leaving my computer on and downloading for 3 days non-stop and hoping that nothing caused my connection to drop. Although dial-up was the reason I started using Opera, first browser to integrate a built-in download manager that could recover a download and continue.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I use to wander all the stores with Babbages my ultimate favorite, given the sheer amount of software and operating systems.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I didn't live here in AZ when they still did that, but I imagine the Fry's Electronics would have been AMAZING back then with how GIGANTIC they are.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Back then there was no Fry's in my area, there was Babbages, CompUSA and one other chain I cant remember associated with Babbages. later other stores started to do the same like Best Buy.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Fry's is a local chain, started out of California quite some time ago. They've never moved much out of the pacific area. Funny story, the owners of Fry's Electronics are the same as the original owners of Fry's Foods, they sold the Grocery chain to Kroger and opened the Fry's Electronics.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The fun part was all the swap shops and small computer stores that cropped up. One in my area was called the Hacker Shack, and all the fanboys in the area ended up there. great shop but my local swap shop still exists from those days and I love wandering im there to sell,trade or buy. We also have one computer shop that has survived the old days Goldentech as i use to work there for awhile.
Site Moderator