Babylon 5 and Space 1999 coming to Comet

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Babylon 5 and Space 1999 coming to Comet

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been talking about this for awhile but its now happened. This fall Babylon 5 and Space 1999 will be shown on Comet the scifi based cable network.
They will join Stargate SG-1 and Andromeda as part of the prime time line up.
It reminds me of the SciFi Network when it first launched showing older series and movies.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Re: Babylon 5 and Space 1999 coming to Comet

Post by CaptNoize »

It's about time.... I'm getting tired of H&I's Star Trek all evening...even tho I'm a huge "trekkie". I have Space: 1999 series on DVD,as well as UFO,and all the Irwin Allen sci-fi series. Babylon 5 is the only thing I don't have. Since I "cut the cord" 2 years ago,I haven't missed cable at all. I have Amazon Fire TV and Netflix for all my "gore and horror" fixes. I URGE all readers to save money,and "cut the cord" from cable. I've saved nearly $1200.00 a year,by eliminating cable and phone,from the cable utility thieves. :twisted: :evil: :x
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

IMO, cutting the cord saves no money. I don't have streaming services, and Cox gives you a discount on your internet connection if you have 2 services (even more if you also have phone). So to sign up for enough streaming services that I'd get all my shows I watch (given that I'd need all the spanish channels for my wife, then all the racing for myself), and the internet bill would go up, I'd save nothing cutting the cord.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My cable in my condo complex is a bulk rate that costs me only $27 a month as part of the condo fee. The issue is internet service costs are also high, so to watch online content I still have to pay a substancial amount. Certainly its less than the typical Comcast packages but its still higher than i would prefer. Thats the issue nowadays unless you are happy with a very cheap/slow internet connection and watching tv only over the airwaves.

I use to have the Babylon 5 DVD set but sold it years ago for more than I paid for it. So happy to have it back for free and can see some of my favorite shows of the past.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

In my case, I was talked into a "bundle" package by CCI. At the time,it was advertised to be $90.00 a month,for a period of 3 years. Taxes INCLUDED. Within a year,they raised it $15,blaming it on the Federal government tax increase. Then it went up $20.a month, due to state taxes. Then, it went up $10 more due to "maintenance" fees. At that point,I just waited till the contract ran out. This was basic,bottom line cable,no HBO,CINEMAX,SHOWTIME. This also was NOT HD. HD was $15 more a month.!! The internet was the slowest possible...phone was...the phone,..no big deal. By getting out of the bundle contract, I saved nearly $1200 a year...and my TV never goes out...! All I'm saying is people need to realize there is cheaper ways to watch your programs. Don't let the cable companies rip you off... BTW...all "over the air" broadcasting in my area is HD....free...!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

All over the air is HD as ut was mandated by the Feds and its also not compressed so the image quality can actually be better over the air in many cases.

Im using small boxes that allow me to get Comcast tv but they amount to $18 a month so Im looking at going to over the air for some of my tvs even though the actual cable fee is only $27.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Yes...you are correct about the HD over the air...It looked night vs. day difference. I couldn't believe that they compressed the signal that much. It's a no brain-er for me. Way cheaper,way better picture,and I have 2 TVs hooked up to my network which is fed by a digital antenna...all for under $100...!!! 8-) :lol: :ugeek:
BTW...those boxes you're using...Comcast buys them by the hundreds for as little as $2.50 each....and the keep charging you...$18 a month,per box, for as long as you have them....do you realize the profit they're making...???! :x :evil: :shock:
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

MOST cable companies are all HD now also.

Funny thing, an HD signal is 1/7 the size of a SD signal due to being fully digital vs. analog. When I was with Verizon, they were just finishing up the SD > HD conversion. For every SD channel that went away, the bandwidth could be replaced by 7 HD channels. So still that much smaller DESPITE being significantly better picture quality. Of course, then required some form of digital receiver, so older, analog only TV's wouldn't work without a box...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Yep, but I own tvs with digital receivers so Ill eventually drop the boxes from those tvs and probably keep one for my older tv temporarily. Comcast in my area isnt all HD as you pay for it if you want it.
Issue with HD is, your signal strength has to be very high and many complexes such as mine have older infrastructure and signal strength can be very challenging. Comcast doesnt make much if an effort to replace anything unless forced. They havent done an audit in years and many times come to me to ask where the hardware is in the buildings.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, that was one thing Verizon was really good about. We'd often replace the wiring outside, and many buildings were renovating because their tenants demanded that they fix the issues with the old rg-59 not being able to carry a signal. Probably 1/2 the old apartments in VA Beach/Newport News and the area have been renovated in the last 5 years to bring the internal wiring up to modern standards because of everything in that area being full digital now.