Le Mans 2018

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Le Mans 2018

Post by crosscourt »

Its been on since 9am EST and you can watch it be going over to www.velocity.com assuming you dont already have the Velocity channel with your cable provider. Full coverage all weekend with commercial breaks which arent that bad.
Alonso in the Toyota 8 is in the lead but the first lap was pretty crazy. There have been some wrecks, flat tires but overall a stable race with rain threatening.
The Toyota's have no competition so as long as they can maintain their cars performance its a sure thing. The real battle is in the lower classes, with the cars tightly packed and going after opne another.
Its still early so lets see what happens in the next 4 hours.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Le Mans 2018

Post by crosscourt »

I miss Audi in prototype and this year no Porsche or Nissan even though there are some private teams.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My eyes are tired and we are only 8 hours into the race. Night time has arrived and we are seeing some spins,crashes and failures.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I watched it off and on for a little while. To tell the truth, it was kinda boring because they kept following the Toyotas instead of ANYTHING else...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The Eurosport feed was amazing and honestly they didnt follow the Toyota's that much and focused a lot on the GT classes, Pro in particular as the Pink Pig got a lot of attention. I watched about 18 hours of the race and got some sleep and picked up the race with an hour left. Alonso last night cut heavily into the 7's lead and of course that car had a fuel issue and eventually ended up a lap down. The stage was set for Alonso to win his first Le Mans.
Patrick Dempsey's team was amazing after losing one car but beating out some of the bigger teams to win the GTAm. Gnassi USA did well ending up third with the Ford GT. LMP2 though was amazing and there was still a fight right to the finish between the top two cars.
LMP1 except for Alonso was a yawn fest as its a dead category for the time being and needs more players.

Overall an amazing race and nice to be able to see the whole race on Velocity as Fox coverage was awful last year.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Watched an IMSA race yesterday, part of the Weathertech series, at the Canadian tire motorsport track. Great race and was nice to see so many former drivers from other series doing well at this race.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:28 pm Watched an IMSA race yesterday, part of the Weathertech series, at the Canadian tire motorsport track. Great race and was nice to see so many former drivers from other series doing well at this race.
I watched that as well. Didn't end up watching the whole thing (my wife wanted to record another show that coincided with the end of the race), but enjoyed what recorded.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im a huge fan of all forms of Le Mans/endurance racing and these sprint events really are fun to watch.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

They are. Especially when you see someone who's not in any real chase for the championship up in 2nd or 3rd place. Because they're not really in the chase for the championship they'll push SOOOOOOOOO hard to try to get a win rather than play it safe and take the "easy" points.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I loved Can-am and Trans-am racing in the day and IMSA comes very close to that experience.
Site Moderator