First F1 race of the year was terrible, second race pretty good

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
tlmiller

Re: First F1 race of the year was terrible, second race pretty good

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah. I'd bet the same would happen here if they moved it to Sundays though. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed going to the race on Saturday, watching a concert in the parking lot, touring the pits, then setting down as the sun was going down to watch the race, knowing that I'd be getting home super late. Not getting to do all that because the race was so much earlier in the day and on a Sunday, I'm not sure I'd be willing to pony up the $$ to bother. As is, my buddy and I both plan on going again next year.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Seeing a race live these days is a mixed bag depending on where you go. TV coverage is spectacular so not sure Id bother unless it was fairly close.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It's only about 35 miles for me to go to whatever they're calling PIR nowadays.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Lime Rock is the only IMSA track close to me with active races, in West Virginia. Nascar races are close though.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Where are you in relation to VIR? They have a LOT of awesome racing there (although no IMSA).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I live in Woodbridge, Virginia 19 miles south of Wash DC, just 2 miles off off interstate 95. No doubt we have a lot of awesome racing here, stock car, dirt racing and motorcycles.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Oh, you're not really close to VIR then. Too bad, I've never been, always wanted to get the chance to go there for a weekend of racing when I was living in the area. One of the best race tracks in the WBV (WAshington/Balt/Virginia) area IMO.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its not very close being in Alton, Virginia which is about 35 miles south of Lynchburg. I could actually get to Lime Rock quicker than VIR.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Qualifying for the German Grand Prix was wild as Hamilton had a hydraulic problem and continued to drive against orders so hes going to start in 14th having made Q2 before the failure. Riccardo is startin in the back of the field as well. Bottas came close to getting poll but Vettel pulled out a great lap time for poll. Ferrari based teams in general did very well as Sauber and Haas made the final ten. Given the changes in the pack, its going to be an interesting race.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, once again Ferrari seems t have found quite a bit extra pace on Saturday from what they were showing on Friday. I think generally right now Ferrari have the best overall teams. Haas started the season showing that they really SHOULD have been "best of the rest" but they weren't able to capitalize. Sauber has made AMAZING gains this year from last, and it doesn't hurt that Leclerc looks like he's going to be a future star with how well he peddles the things. Renault teams still down on power, and while Force India isn't doing BADLY, this season they don't have the giant engine advantage over all the other midfield teams they've enjoyed the last few seasons, so their (copmaritively) small budget compared to most teams is hurting them with getting developments to keep up. Williams, on the other hand, is just a total hot mess. One of the greatest teams in history and still have arguably (given the last few years, amazing that it's no longer the plain best engine that can't even be argued) the best engine but their chassis is total garbage.