Digital games arent for me

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Digital games arent for me

Post by crosscourt »

Two of the services Ive used for games had issues. One went down and isnt coming back and the other Bethesda is converting to Steam but there are major issues that arent going to get fixed. Thus any games with these services can no longer be accessed. Also had minor issues with Epic and Steam is changing their policies again. You are completely at the mercy of these services and some of the stories Ive read online are worse than what Ive experienced.
I decided to go back to my older Win7 gaming rig and my classic consoles where I can use physical media and maintain control. There havent been many newer games that Ive enjoyed but I do have a huge classic game collection and will take advantage of it.
Add the cost of recent hardware, video cards in particular and there just isnt a great reason to stick with this situation.
Ive got two Dell Optiplex 7010 MTs and both will be running Win7 with all the drivers and addons needed. They both use Geforce GT 640 video cards and use 512gb 2.5 ssds with 16gb of ram and i5 3.4ghz 3rd gen cpus.

I already own a PS2/PS1 and an original Xbox and may pick up a PS3 as well.

I was surprised to find out that virus/malware/firewall apps are available for Win7 but MS makes it tough for you to get service packs and stay updated.
Sometimes the retro approach is just more suitable for some gamers.

Im running Win10 only on my laptops and new HP Elitedesk 800 G3 systems.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Digital games arent for me

Post by crosscourt »

Really enjoyable so far with only one hitch. The Dell widescreen monitor I use is not a help with some games that cant scale up. It stretches the image and washes it out, so I may have to retreat to my older Dell 19 inch Ultrascan which can handle the lower resolutions a bit better.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just installed Halo, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Tribes Vengeance. Will be installing Unreal 2 and Dungeon Siege 2. Performance has been excellent so far.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The other Dell 7010 MT I just tested and waiting for the video card and the 512gb ssd to come in. Ill clone the drive from the other system and it should be good to go.
My original 7010 MT is using Avast for security and the free version has virus real time protection, malware real time protection and a firewall. It also has additional features so call me impressed.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Drive cloned and video card installed with no issues. Added ram to 16gb and unit was in amazing shape. Microsoft continues to offer security fixes at times even though Win7 isnt supported. Video card is a a Geforce GT 640 with 1gb of DDR3. The DDR5 version is far more capable but for my purposes its cheap and available and runs well. It came out in late 2011-early 2012 but most of my games are 2006 or older.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Did a fair amount of gaming to test both systems and so far its gone well. Some games are cranky and you have to find fixes to get them running but so far Win7 has turned into an excellent retro gamer OS.
Site Moderator