crosscourt

Re: Moving on...

Post by crosscourt »

So hows the new job so far?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So far it's not too bad. Mon - Wed work from home, then Thurs & Fri in the office. Some of the new coworkers really are quite good at this stuff, a lot of it I have very little to no experience with (RHEL Satellite, Kubernetes, infoblox DNS) so I'm lost, but slowly starting to get access to things to be able to start contributing where I can.
wove

Post by wove »

I always enjoyed a new job and getting to learn new stuff. It always feels quite satisfying to hone one's skills and pickup new skills. Nice to hear it is working out. I hope you have enough free time to venture out in that fine looking yellow sports car.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, here it's a bit of information overload just because of HOW differently they do everything than everywhere else I've worked. But slowly getting used to it.

And definitely been driving my new Vette, also got the check in to fix my Mustang.
wove

Post by wove »

How does a Vetter handle. My first sports car was a '52 Austin Healey and driving that in North Dakota, I always had Vettes zooming by me and jumping out in front of me off the line. Vettes were much more powerful machines. Later I moved to West Virgina and the Austin Healey was awesome in the mountains. I do not remember running into any Vettes in West Virginia nor did I run into any other Austin Healeys either. I always wondered how a Vette would do in the mountains.

When young I always thought of a Vette as a "muscle car" in a sports car format, but never really knew how the Vette was as a sports car.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

C1 was reasonably a sports car with it's little blue flame I-6. C2-C3 really was more of a muscle car. They performed reasonably well given how front heavy they were, and how insanely heavy the brakes & clutches were. The c4 was the first to really be a sports car. Chevy designed the transverse mount single composite leaf suspension specifically for the C4 (compared to coilovers, it weighs 16 lbs front, 16 lbs rear, while coilovers are often 20 lbs per CORNER, thus saving a huge amount of weight while offering 90% of the performance), and while it was still front heavy, they improved every other aspect to make it quite a good performer. The C5 took this to the next level, achieving near perfect 50-50 weight balance, which was rare for a front engine car. The C6 was simply a refinement of the C5. Shortened the wheelbase, lowered the curb weight, improved structural rigidity, also introduced the aluminum chassis (in the Z06, the base & Z51 still had steel chassis). The C7 that I dislike was simply further refinement of the C6 where they ruined the taillights. But the C6 Z06 package starts with the Z51 track package. So it includes stiffer suspension, heavier sway/roll bars, bigger brakes, wider tires. Then the Z06 package adds onto that even LARGER brakes (although nowhere close to the size of the C7 Z06 brakes!!), actively pushing air to the brakes to cool them, and the big 7.0L engine. So it handles REALLY well actually. I do miss the Z51 transmission though, it feels like this car is slow to accelerate to me because of how big the gap is between gears on this transmission.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Brings bqck memories of my Dodge Charger Super Bee 1970, 318/2 barrel with positraction rear end. Amazing car, that served both performance and practical side with its design.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Wow a Super Bee the penumbulant super car. They were some very impressive Detroit big-iron. I had a neighbor that had one. The ground shock when it set on the street idleing. Nice car. :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The Super Bee package with the 1970 charger amounted to a racing suspension, positraction rear end, heavy duty automatic transmission and an RT stripe around the trunk area. It was also available with a 383/ 4 barrel but the 318 got decent mileage but was still good at a quarter mile. The movie Bullitt I had one similar to mine. I accidentally tore out the rear end and couldnt afford to fix it, so I sold it for good money to a collector.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I always liked the graphics on the super bee. Dodge did a great job with their overstated graphics and colors back then. They're very much the type of cars I would design if I were doing it.