THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
CaptNoize

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS

Post by CaptNoize »

So, Xmas is soon to be here,in 4 days. I always call my 2nd cousin every other day,(he's 72) just to catch up,and check in on him. He's one of my few living relatives,about 25 minutes from me,that I get along with, well. I called him early Wednesday,and left a message. I didn't hear back from him,so I called again on Friday night,and left another message.Nothing. Again I called on Saturday,left message,nothing. At this point,I was getting worried. I decided to go to his house on Sunday,mid afternoon. I had shopping to do Sunday morning,and while I was at the store,I ran into a old friend,I hadn't seen in 5 years. He told me that he heard my other cousin that I don't talk to,told him he had 6 months to live. He's been a heavy drinker most of his life,and now, liver sclerosis is shutting down his kidneys and lungs. Go figure, I begged that smart ass to quit,but all he did was fight me,and everyone else. So now,it's game over. I came home,put my groceries away and preceded to my other cousins home. There,after finding his dog freaking out, I broke into his house,and found him lying in a pool of piss,and blood. He'd had a stoke,but was still alive. He was lying there for 2-3 days. I called 911 immediately,and the EMT's were there in minutes. He' s in a local hospital,with Afib and a blood clot in his lung. He also can't talk,and isn't walking. So, now I got to try to care for a large dog,and luckily,the neighbor is feeding her twice a day. But that's not going to last long. I can't bring her to my home,I have a cat. I might have to put her in a kennel for awhile,but I dont have power of attorney,or any access to his money. all this,while I'm getting over the effects of that covid booster.....What a mess... Merry Xmas.. :roll: :roll: :x :( :(
crosscourt

Re: THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS

Post by crosscourt »

Sorry you had to experience that near the holidays. Ive had many terrible experiences here where I live near the holidays but losing a relative is tough.
Hope youre doing ok and can find ways to cope with it and use the holidays to feel better.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I went to my cousins' house tonite to meet his neighbor,who's been caring for his dog. I been worried about finding the animal a new home. I talked with the hospital today and they said my cousin was having a bad day. I don't think my cousins coming back to his house,he's probably going to end up in a nursing home. Luck would have it,the neighbors sister,works for the no kill shelter that my cousin adopted his dog from. So,I ask the neighbors sister if she'd take the dog tomorrow,back where she was adopted from. She agreed,and I should feel good be about it. But I don't. He's had her for about 10 years,and now,she's going back...how sad. I removed his guns and ammo,shuttered his house,since I don't know when or if,... he'll ever be back. I have no legal say so,so it's up to the hospital and his case worker. Here in Zombieland, we have the biggest thieves and crooks when it comes to care for the elderly. All the way from the state,right down to nursing institutions. They foreclose on all of his personal property,and sell it off,and he'll spend the rest of his life in a nursing home. And they get every cent of his SSI. That's the way it works here in Pa. So much for my holiday. Thanks for the well wishes,it is,what it is. :cry: :(
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its done that way everywhere in America. Nursing homes are fantastically expensive and it takes personal property, real estate, SS and other assets to cover up front costs. The other issue is, if you have to much cash or assets you have to pay for your own nursing home costs because of the Feds limitations with Medicare. My mom went thru this before she died and its a miserable way to end your life. We gave her a few years of assisted living and in that time her assets/cash wittled down, then she qualified for a nursing home. They took almost all of her available cash.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I understand that. However,in my situation of caring for my mother for 15 years,(she lived with me in in MY home) upon her death,these grave robbing ghouls tried to make me pay inheritance tax on her car,which was over 30 years old, and wasn't even listed in the Kelly Blue Book,and listed me as a co owner,wanted their stinking little bit of money. They tried to argue the point that they were trying to assess value using a different book. So,WHY do we use the KBB.???!! These bastards try to live by 2 different standards when it comes to getting money. Just wreck your vehicle here,and they,and the insurance company will tell you it's worthless..!!! However,my lawyer found a loophole that said since I cared for her all that time,the state couldn't collect. They still made my life miserable,for a bit,till I threatened to sue for punitive damages,they quit the harassment. I cannot express more disdain and hatred for the Pa. Dept. Of Revenue. They totally suck!!!!😠😠😠😠
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

UPDATE.. The good people from the no kill shelter came and picked up my cousins dog this afternoon,at 3pm. My cousin,on a sadder note,will spend Xmas in the hospital,then be moved to a rehabilitation facility,for at least 3-5 weeks,perhaps longer. So,even tho i feel really bad about the decision, at this point,I know it was the correct one 😕
chris

Post by chris »

From your description, it really was the wisest decision. Hope things gets better soon.

Best wishes for Christmas and New Year to all here! 🎄
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Thanks Chris...
Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all on this forum.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Totally agree with Chris and hope things get a bit better.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Turns out,my decision was right. My cousin has a myriad of problems,and will be going to a rehabilitation center(nursing home) probably for the rest of his life. Game over. One of the problems I ran into was/is he hadn't assigned anyone a "Power Of Attorney" . I'm just listed as a contact. I cannot make any legal decisions,or pay bills for him,while he's in their care. He didn't have a living will,with his wishes for his care, be known. I mentioned it several times before over the years,and he just dismissed me. I urge everyone reading this, to do this for yourself,while you're well. It makes it alot easier for those who you hope will look after your belongings,and obligations, if you can't.