Cloning Windows

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
wove

Cloning Windows

Post by wove »

My IdeaCentre has a 500GB NVME SSD which came with and still has Windows installed. It also has a second 240GB SATA SSD which at the moment has Pop OS installed. The NVME currently has 450GB free, because I do not do much Windows, while the SATA SSD is 2/3rds full (lots of virtual machines). I would like to swap Linux and Widows around.

I created restore media, which Lenovo says can install the initial configuration to any HD installed in the computer, so I could go that route, but it would be nicer to just clone the current Windows setup to the SATA SSD and then reinstall Linux on the big drive. I so not have any experience doing that. I am familiar with Gnome Disk Utility and GParted, which I think can do cloning, but I have never used them for that. I looked at a couple disk cloning packages you finds on the internet, but they all wanted me to buy them if they are to be used to put a bigger HD on an smaller HD. Any suggestions on the fastest slickest way to get this done would be appreciated.
crosscourt

Re: Cloning Windows

Post by crosscourt »

I use Minitool Shadowmaker free and it works very well. The site is www.minitool.com . Slide down the page till you see Shadowmaker, then click and see what you think. It works fine going from a larger HD to a smaller HD assuming the total data amount isnt larger than the smaller drive.
After installing, click on tools then clone drives and youre off an running.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Thanks for the pointer. It worked great. I moved the Windows install to the 250GB SATA SSD and installed reinstalled PopOS on the 500GB NVME SSD. I restored home folder from my backup and everything is running well, thanks again.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its a great app that Ive been using with clients for quite awhile. Glad it worked out.
Site Moderator