Windows 10 21H2 issues

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Windows 10 21H2 issues

Post by crosscourt »

Updated to the new version last night and 2 hours later Win10 said there were errors on my drive and I would have to restart. I did that and the scan went on for hours. I went to bed and got up only to find it was still scanning. Did a hard reboot and when it came back it finished the scan but didnt immediately take me into Win10. Did another reboot and finally after a short wait the OS came back up. First time Ive ever had this happen on any Win10 system. Im curious to see if it happens on any of my laptops that also use the update. 21H2 though wasnt offered to my Ryzen system, very odd.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Windows 10 21H2 SSD problem

Post by tlmiller »

I've got it setting on offer on my Ryzen system, but I haven't gotten around to installing it. I DID create the install media USB already, but haven't actually installed the update. Also got rid of my Win11 install media USB.
crosscourt

Re: Windows 10 21H2 issues

Post by crosscourt »

I dont believe that 21H2 caused the issue but everything seems to be fine.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No issues with my other systems using this update so far. Its a pretty small update for a new version.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Still isnt being offered to my Ryzen system but it was offered to all my laptops including the older models.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its still not being offered to my Ryzen system but all my other systems have been upgraded.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Windows 11 is installed on the IdeaCenter, but lately when I have need to do something in Windows, I have been using Windows 10 running a VM. Windows 11 is a bit nicer than Win10 on the Surface, but on the Desktop Win10 feels much easier to use.

The vm is running 21H2 and when I have looked at updates, I have been presented with a message that my machine is not capable of running Win11. Today I got a message asking if I am ready for Win 11. MS is finishing additional testing on my hardware and should be releasing Win11 for my hardware very soon. That is one strange message.

The VM provides a "SeaBIOS" to start the VM. It provides an emulated secure boot, and I assumed at some point it would be upgrade to also emulate a TPM and when that happens it would run Win11 just fine, but I am in no hurry. The message in Windows update today leads me to believe that maybe Win11 is going to bypass the TPM requirement?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Initially my Ryzen system wasnt supported for Win11, but thats changed. Im hoping the TPM requirement will be dropped. I totally agree with you that Win10 is much easier to use and gives you a better desktop experience. So far Ive been disappointed with Win11 and except for helping others with it, I wont be using it till 2025.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Talk about funny. I was trying to use the update assistant to install 21H2 on my Dell 3340. It downloaded and started to install at which point it popped out, said it needed to update then came back and told me I couldnt install Win10 using a USB drive and the laptop wasnt compatible with Win10. Its already running Win10, so I close that out, it pops back to the install of the update and immediately says it cant complete it. I have two other 3340s that have the update installed, so go figure.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ended up installing 21H2 on the Ryzen system with no issues using the update assistant, but its much slower.
Site Moderator