A New Job

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
CaptNoize

Re: A New Job

Post by CaptNoize »

I was in the cold room yesterday. It's a tough job,I 'll have to try to get used to it. The good thing is this company understands how hard it is,and they give you time to adjust. This isn't something anybody could just jump in and do. There's alot to learn,alot of information overload. The cold makes it tougher,and we all have to were masks. Which makes it that much harder to breathe. I'll give it some time. Alot there are half my age,so their enthusiasm gives me drive.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

There is a whole completely,different work ethic today, than what I grew up with. Keep in mind,I'm 61 years old. I grew up working from the time I was 6, on my Grandfather 's farm. You watched,learned a bit,then were thrown into it. I had 3 days of training so far. I've got 2 more days of training,then I will be on my own. We have meetings every morning,to see what we think of our progress. I told them yesterday, that I'm information overload. They told me they understood, and just take it day by day. Don't get hurt..! Is what is always said. In most of my work situations,the management could care less. What a change..!
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I don't think this job is going to work out for me. Between my osteoarthritis in my knees,and back issues,along with being in a 30 degree environment all day,is alot for my broken down old frame. I think I'm the oldest person there..! My coworkers are all in their early 20's and 30's..! I'll try to hang in there,but I feel my days are numbered.😟😕😣
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats why I asked you how hard this job is as youve had so many issues. You could talk to your boss and see if they have any other jobs in the company that you could switch to.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Yes, I know,but I'm trying to give it my best shot. I have a few other offers I'm entertaining, I'm undecided. My common sense tells me to just call it a day. I get frustrated easily,since my past job was such a rash.I won't get back into a situation like that again. I'll work in my shop part time,before I'd endure that complaining. I already expressed my concern to my team leader,and he told me just to take my time to get use to this job. Everyone says it takes 6-8 months to learn it, and longer to get good at it. I'll see this week. My new shift starts Thursday thru Sunday,with one day off,next Monday.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

At my age if I screw up thats it for me. You dont recover from serious issues when your in your 60s or older. I want to continue to work but at some point an issue could force me to retire. I avoid dangerous and physically stressful situations and thankfully the Board wants me to do that given my age. Id be smart and not bite off more than you can chew.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Well, I resigned this morning. I spent the past 3 days in the freezer room,(the work was mind numbing,no pun intended)and being not able to literally walk out of that place,I now have bronchitis, and no voice...!😨😨 I got a call from another potential employer paying even more money,looking for a Parts Manager,but I can't do the interview this evening,since I have no voice..!!😵😒 I can't win,either way..!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Glad you made that decision. Im sure there are many jobs that use your brains rather than torturing your body. Tell the company that wants to interview you that youll need to do it a few days later.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I had that interview today; it's 25 miles one way. And they have others to interview.I'm applying to some local companies( 3-6) miles away,which is way more productive and practical. I got money saved,so I can just work in my shop for awhile if needed. I'm just going o relax for a bit. I don't give 💩 if I get something before the holidays.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Sounds like a great idea.
Site Moderator