I won a HAT!!

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
tlmiller

I won a HAT!!

Post by tlmiller »

So, at the Weathertech Grand Prix of Monterey, did the Firestone experience and while everyone else won beer coozies, I won a HAT!!

wove

Re: I won a HAT!!

Post by wove »

Congratulations on the hat. I think the shades are pretty cool too. :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

How was the race qualifying experience? Like the hat.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The Indy Lights races were interesting. Rarely do you see such dominance in a spec series by a single driver. Kyle Kirkwood maxed weekend. Took both poles (bonus point for each), won both races, got bonus point on both races for most laps led. 2nd race he won by something like 12 seconds!! SPEC SERIES!!!

The USTC races were...ok. Edgar Lau in the Shelby GT350R was...utterly dominant. My favorite car, the #28 Corvette C5 of Rob Harper was a pile of steaming garbage most of the weekend. New engine, but didn't matter, he was NOWHERE near the speed of Lau. Took 4th in race 1, 2nd in race 2 after the Camaro dropped out. It was nice to see an old Corvette GTP, although I didn't think to ask if it was a T10 or T11 chassis (T10 chassis came with Turbo-6 although some where replaced with V-8's, T11 chassis came with V-8)

The Indy race was OK. It had VERY little on track passing (some, but not a lot). Back to back dominant victories at this track (they didn't race last year, so 2019 & this year) by Colton Herta. Had something like a 10 second lead by the end of the race, led 91/95 laps. Palou all but finished up the Championship, while Newgarden is MATHEMATICALLY still alive, he basically needs a win + Palou not finishing, and Pato O'ward is still alive too, but he would need to finish some 16 or so places in front of Palou to win. With 13th place finish, Scott Dixon is now out of the battle, as is Marcu Ericson, who was only mathematically still alive (basically would have needed to win Laguna Seca & Long Beach + very bad finishes for Palou and O'Ward at both).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Grosjean was fun to watch, almost wrecking Johnson but got close to Palou. Hes going to Andretti next year, should be fun.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I enjoyed a bunch of them. I was surprised because at the start of the first practice session there was only like 3 cars I COULDN'T recognize who they were...Callum Ilot (who I still don't know who he is), Helio Castroneves (because he's only done a few races), and Reenus Veekay, who eventually I figured his out through process of elimination of the other full-time drivers.

I was disappointed in Sato. He's one of my favorites (generally, all the ex-F1 drivers are), but while it didn't end up costing Dixon anything, he nearly wrecked Dixon in the corkscrew (which is where I was setting, too), and DID hit him, just didn't cost him time.
Also horribly disappointed in Rossi. While fast, he LOOKED bad all weekend, then manages to crash himself on his own TEAMMATE. HORRIBLE, horrible, horrible display of everything to NOT do. I'm beginning to question if his initial success was ACTUALLY tied to talent or just to Brian Herta being his strategist, because he's shown basically nothing the last 2 years to suggest he has what it takes to compete for a championship.
Pato was just straight up beaten this weekend. Him & Herta are my current favorite 2 drivers (I watched them through Indy Lights and came to like them), so it was a bit disappointing to see him just not have the pace to contend. But I like Palou reasonably well, and at least it's not a Penske driver winning the championship (Penske being sponsored by Verizon has my eternal enmity, ESPECIALLY a certain #12 who is the title sponsor for Verizon).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Me too as I cheer for the ex-F1 drivers and in particular Grosjean after what he went thru. In the case of Rossi he needs the right crew chief to succeed given his personality. Hes an excellent driver, whos had some bad luck, which pushed him to do things I dont think he generally would have done.
Its great to have McLaren back but I prefer Askew over Rosenqvist and like Pato a lot. I use to be a fan of Gnassi racing because Dario Franchitti was my favorite driver, another F1 driver. Andretti is my favorite team now with Ericsson, Herta, Rossi and now Grosjean. Hate Pensje with a passion and in particular Power who annoys me.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

As far as teams, I'm forever loyal to AJ Foyt racing. They suck ass, but I still love the team because I love the man. Still hate that I lost his biography during one of my moves, I had it signed by him and everything.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Also love AJ Foyt and originally wasnt a big fan of Andretti till recently.
Site Moderator