The FrankenDebian gets ever more...Frankenier (?)

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
tlmiller

The FrankenDebian gets ever more...Frankenier (?)

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt

Re: The FrankenDebian gets ever more...Frankenier (?)

Post by crosscourt »

Looks like youre having fun!
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I may not be the most patient person in the world. Which is why I know my way around FrankenDebian's so well, I've destroyed MANY an install over the years trying to keep them more up to date than Debian tends to lean towards. I would LOVE to find something that's as easy to manage as Debian, has repos as nice as Debian, is as reliable as Debian, but isn't QUITE so ancient. Basically, I want a Debian Leap version. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im going to keep using KDE but will be using XFCE far more than I have in quite some time. In my case, being behind the curve may end up as a better decision, unless I want to ditch my older hardware. Mind you most of my hardware now is six years old or newer, so I shouldnt be having issues with newer KDE versions.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Could you not get the up to the minute software on Debian, if you installed it via flatpak? I know for instance that Firefox 92 is available as a flatpak.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Some yes, some no. While Flatpak is constantly growing in what they offer, they're FAR from a complete solution yet. Also, the simple SIZE of the packages annoys me. While I'm ok with some things (I use LibreOffice and RetroArch from flatpak, LibreOffice because it's already huge, and RetroArch because I've never SUCCESSFULLY gotten the repo version to function in Debian or Arch), smaller packages I really don't like the amount of overhead that Flatpak adds to it. Also while DE integration is PRETTY good with Flatpak's, it's still not quite as good in most cases as native.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Dont use Flatpack much at all. Ive tried it once with Zorin OS to install OnlyOffice.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I think it's useful. I use it on my work laptop to get a modern LibreOffice on Neon. I use it on my personal machines to get a working RetroArch. I do actually use it on my desktop as well to get a modern LibreOffice, although my laptops make do with OnlyOffice and WPS Office for the most part (I do have 1 or 2 that have SoftMaker on still).

For the "distro irrelevent" packaging methods, it's by far my preferred. I think there are some use cases where it can make a LOT of sense (multiple versions of the same software, easily running sandboxed software), and the size thing, while it annoys me, isn't THAT big a deal given most of my installs even WITH all my emulator files and Flatpak installs are ~40GB, and they're installed on 1TB SSD's...
wove

Post by wove »

At first I was very adverse to the large package size, but I think that was more a philosophical position than practical position, as with most newer hardware I really do have lots of storage. I always want to think that the stuff I create should eat up more space than the software that makes it, but now days, it is common to use a 1GB application to create a 5MB document.

NextCloud client is available as a flatpak and is based on QT. The download to install it on Endless a Gnome centric distro, was a huge download, but with a lot of the QT, Plasma and theming downloaded further KDE/QT installs are much smaller downloads.

Since flatpaks reside in /home it means that a backup of /home includes a great deal of the software and preference etc. that you normally use, making it much easier to move to a different distro that uses flatpak as well.