Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
tlmiller

Re: Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Post by tlmiller »

Windows 10 "S" mode was an attempt to combat that. Unfortunately, most people didn't know what S mode was, bought a laptop that came in S-mode because MS didn't properly market these as "education devices" instead of just inexpensive Windows devices, and complained about not being able to install anything. So then they came to associate S-mode with a non-functional version of Windows, and thus were biased against it. Basically, MS doing what they do best, completely, utterly marketing something wrong so it ends up having such a negative view with their customer base that they can't "fix" it enough to give it a chance to succeed.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Win10 S had a lot of issues and frankly was a piece of crap. Most of the schools werent using S and in fact were using Win10 with goodies added on.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

No, I don't know of ANY schools that were using S mode devices. Because while if you read the release announcements and such, it clearly state S-mode was geared towards the education sector, they NEVER marketed it that way. They just released a bunch of inexpensive hardware that had Windows 10 S on it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I was aware of some schools using S in my area but very few.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

My Surface Go came with Windows S. I had no real complaints with it. It was much like SilverBlu. MS did all the updates no questions asked no warnings given and all applications came from the store. After it updated to Windows 11, I bought one of those cheap "license keys" online for $3.00 and upgraded it to Windows 11 Pro.

I was not unhappy with Windows S. It worked as well as a tablet OS as Windows Pro. The only odd ball issue I ever had was for some reason Windows S was absolutely convinced I had to have Toshiba Printer drivers installed, which I found really annoying, but beyond the install, update and harddrive being pointlessly used it never made any difference in operation.

Windows 11 also required you using Edge as the browser and Bing as search, but since Win 11 decided to take those requirements to the mainstream, even that probably does not matter much. For myself I do not do anything on the Surface with Win 11 Pro different than I did with "S" mode.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

You were lucky as S for many users created problems and for some schools it was a no go. As to Edge being the only browse,r that has already changed as a recent test build reported on today allows the use of any browser with a single click. Its currently being tested and will eventually be released. MS could not have kept Edge as the only choice or they would become a target for an anti-trust suit. Anybody remember IE vs Netscape and in Europe they went after MS for forcing IE use.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Windows 11 is causing severe performance issues with NVMe drives. One among quite a few issues such as the printer problems that still havent been solved.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

At work we got a ton of Crowdstrike anti-malware alerts today. Seems it detects the Windows upgrade from 10 to 11 as malware like behavior (the IT Sec guy and my boss were upgrading their systems to 11). I got a chuckle.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats hilarious as I agree with Crowdstrike in regards to Win11.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I am finding Win 11 more pleasant than I generally find Windows. It has introduced subtle transitions which leaves it feeling less harsh. I have been lucky I guess because I have not had any problems with printing. I have Win11 installed on a SATA SSD, so I have had no issues with the NVMe drive either.

The ideacentre was made in March of 21 and sold as refurbished in Sept, making me wonder if it ever left the factory before it was shipped to me. There has been no driver or firmware updates from Lenovo. The only driver update came via Windows update. It was an Optane Memory driver from Intel, and I do not even know what the heck that is.

Applications have not noticably changed from Win10. So in that respect it does seem silly to introduce a new OS without also having new features available in the application stack. So overall at this point there is no clear reason to update to Win11, but in my experience if it is offered as an update it is alright to go ahead and do the update. If nothing else you can roll it back if you have problems.