Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Post by crosscourt »

Heres a link to news on Windows 11 which looks like a cross between Win10 and Win10X.

https://betanews.com/2021/06/15/windows ... ks-online/
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Post by tlmiller »

I actually read that article. From the pics and what they were saying, I like that the "live tiles" seem to have went away. I'm not a fan of the whole centered launcher, but I'm guessing that's customizable. Overall, I give it a rousing "meh".
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

More than likely there may be alternatives to that new design for those who dont care for it. Overall Im not disappointed as they are trying to find a new look without causing too much confusion. My bigger question is, will they be charging Win10 users to switch to Win11. If they do what they did with Win10, I think more people will switch to it, otherwise, here we go again with people who will stick with Win10 and dilute the market again.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I liked the mail, weather, and calendar live tiles. Tap the windows key and I could see info at a glance and if nothing just walk away, but overall it seemed a poor launcher. I installed the PowerToy which provided an alt-space search based launcher that I use most times.

I think partly MS and app developers wanted live tiles gone so they could drive you into the applications. Overall I think MS wanted to do a name change update mostly so they had a good excuse to drop support for older hardware and I would guess the hardware manufacturers thought it to be a grand idea as well.

It would be nice to see a more tablet friendly UI as well as a more consistent UI. To have all the preference applications in one place would well just seem so modern, so up to date :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They have a new news and interests app on the taskbar which launched with the recent updates. It includes weather and a few other items and is totally configurable.
Agree with you wove that want to drive people into the apps but in reality Win11 looks more like the planned Win10x and that had quite a few new features targeted toward mobile devices.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:07 am They have a new news and interests app on the taskbar which launched with the recent updates. It includes weather and a few other items and is totally configurable.
Agree with you wove that want to drive people into the apps but in reality Win11 looks more like the planned Win10x and that had quite a few new features targeted toward mobile devices.
I haven't found a single person who can stand that news and interests. Every single person I have read about thinks it's at best, a waste of otherwise useful space, or at worst, an irritant that they never asked for, wanted, or need. I'm sure there's people that do like it, but I imagine they're somewhat rare.
wove

Post by wove »

Yeah that news and weather thing on the taskbar ranks right up there with the inclusion of Candy Crush Saga in the first Windows 10 release.

What I do not like about MS News and Google News as well, is that news items are displayed based on your interests, which means they very quickly devolve into being an "echo chambers". I do prefer an RSS feed reader where I can select the sources. That is why I was so mad when Akregator quit working on ARM64 and I could not find a fix for it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I turned off the news and interests immediately as I dont use things like that ever. Tiles get turned off as well as I prefer a clean desktop.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Hopefully we will find out more on June 24.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I watched a couple videos on YouTube about the leaked Window's 11. They did not have much useful info. My big wonder is what is it going cost? It could of course be a free update. Microsoft still has the license and activation mechanisms still in place, which I assume they keep so they can still use them.