Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
wove

Re: Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Post by wove »

I suppose MS' hardware partners were getting tired of people running 10 year old hardware and were pushing hard for something to help push people to get something new. I do not thing using Windows is a good experience no matter what, but it is reliably functional for my purposes on my Surface Go.

Since MS will be supplying Windows 10 concurrent with Win 11 you can be pretty certain that we will see any new software that will not also support Win10 along with Win11. I think the big feature they touted mainly the ability to run Android Apps, did not make in time for the release, there is in my mind no really new features. There is a new desktop to wow at, but desktops are not productivity and for productivity you will be using the same apps you always have and they will look just like they always have.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I dare say it's safe to say that at this point, after 2025, I won't have a Windows install. I plan on upgrading my existing desktop to a Ryzen 5000 series (8 or 12 core) CPU and 64GB of ram, so that will still be perfectly viable at that point, but won't be eligible for Win11. So since I don't use Windows on laptops...looks like I simply will be leaving the Windows ecosystem entirely.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Outside of my wife who will be using Windows, I will probably have one install and the rest will either be Linux or Chromebooks.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Now it appears Microsoft is going to let people with older hardware install Win11 but they wont guarantee compatibility and you probably wont get security updates. They continue to waffle, which makes me believe they may back ff a bit s Win11 launches. Many companies, clients and mainstream customers voiced their anger to Microsoft as thry got a huge wave of complaints, larger than what was seen with Win7 to Win10. The reports have been coming out on many of the tech sites like arstechnica.com and betanews.com
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Windows 11 is certainly a peculiar release. It has introduced different UI elements, but has not really updated much of any software. MS hypes that moving the Start menu to the middle ushers in a whole new paradigm. They have figured out new ways to have you land at Bing and with Widgets they have uncovered a whole new way to direct you to MS services. But it is the same Mail. Calendar, Notepad etc that it is on Windows 10. And in my view they have done nothing for security as long a BitLocker is not available on all Windows Editions.

My Surface Go Tablet is running Win 11 and I will probably keep it. With the IdeaCentre, I did what tlmiller did with his new laptop. I activated Windows, checked for and installed updated firmware/UEFI, then I promptly installed Linux, in my case I went with Endless OS.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im sticking with Win10 till 2025 and then see where it goes. I was one of the few that actually liked Vista. When Win7 came out I scratched my head as it was nothing but a somewhat changed and slightly updated Vista(which visually looked a lot better than Win7). Microsoft hasnt really done anything to make a major leap with their OS other than to try and force people to do it their way by any means.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just tried the new Win11 compatibility checker and it says my Ryzen system can run Win11. The first time I ran it, the results were mixed.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Ars posted a nice long (at least 30 minute read) review of Windows 11. I assume it is linked on their main page. I got the article from my feed reader.

The first part of the article covers the hardware requirements and goes nicely in depth on the why it is so. The rest of the article is just the usual good review that they do on any major system upgrade. Worth a read.

I found out from the article that Win 11 upgrade honors Win 10 settings, so actually I was missing many of Win 11 visual updates because the upgrade honored the custom visual settings I had made in Win 10.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats pretty much the way it has been with most upgrades from one version of Windows to another. The prior versions settings are respected as much as possible. Ive never been an early adopter of any new version of Windows as I like to wait and let things sort out. Being a gamer, typically drivers took awhile to be optimized and you were much better off sticking to the last version of Windows initially. Arstechnica's article shows that Win11 should be a wait and see and many companies have no intention of moving to it. The tech specs will have to be relaxed otherwise Win11 will end up like Vista/Win8.
Estimates show that over 55% of Enterprise have hardware thats not compatible with Win11 and Im betting that number is way low.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Id wait for most users as Win11 has soe issues for some users. Memory leaks is the biggest issue that was initially reported during the beta stage.
Site Moderator