Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
wove

Re: Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Post by wove »

Win 10 came on the IdeaCentre and I have not deleted it, although I usually boot into either Fedora 34 or Endless OS. It is Win 11 compatible and I do not really care. The Surface Go is running Win 11 last beta release from a month ago. It has not been restarted or shut down since that update. It does not seem to have any memory leaks. Looking at the task manager to see what memory usage was this afternoon, it reports about 3GB which is consistent with all the applications up and running. Win 11 beta releases have been pretty good in usage.

From what I can tell MS has not updated any of their application for the new Win 11. Mail, Edge, Calendar etc are the same versions on both the Surface Go and IdeaCentre. The new Paint and Media Player for Win 11 are not out. And biggest (for me) the Android subsystem is not yet available. I do not thing it has even reached the development builds for Insiders. I would still like to see the Surface Go turn into a useful tablet, and although Win 11 seems fine, it has not done much yet to make the Surface Go a pleasant tablet experience.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

At best Win11 should have been an update for Win10 rather than a new version of the OS. The memory leaks didnt affect everyone even with the beta but its affecting a lot of users with the new release. Some users who upgraded to Win11 had issues with the Win10 taskbar showing up instead of the Win11 configuration. Its pretty laughable how many issues have cropped up with the release of Win11. My belief is that Win11 will see the smallest usage rate in quite awhile with less than 10% by 2023. Enterprise wont touch it for quite some time and many surveys show interest by companies is around 10%.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The nagging Win11 messages have shown up when using Windows update. It didnt take long but given the issues with drivers, performance issues with Ryzen processors and some performance problems with some features, its clearly not worth it.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm hoping when I get around to updating mine I won't get the nags since my desktop isn't compatible.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The issue though if your not compatible and dont meet the specs, you wont get updates. Ive got another hard drive on my desltop as a backup driove with Win10. Ive toyed with upgrading but honestly Im happy with Win10 and really dont care to upgrade.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Now we have apps that use unusual registry keys causing issues with Win11.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So much for MS stance on Win11. People with older hardware who are running Win11 were told they wouldnt get updates but MS decided to relent and released the updates to all users. It appears that if they want a larger user base and cooperation from Enterprise they will have to change their stance.
There contnues to be issues with printers and some manufacturers are recommending not to switch to Win11.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, that's some improvement at least...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

MS patch for the network issue appears to reduce the performance of some AMD processors. Both companies are looking at the issue but as I said in another post,, Id wait on Win11 till its been out awhile.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, I now have a Win11 install USB. I was going to test this out on the Chuwi today, but literally if you install bare metal, you CANNOT continue Windows setup unless you join a network and log in with a MS ID. So, never even made it to a desktop before it got shut back down since I don't have a MS ID anymore. Oh well.