Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Re: Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Post by crosscourt »

Win10 at this point is quite good but yes there have been some problems. Win11 has had many issues and Ive spent a lot of time with friends and clients trying to solve them or waiting for updates. Theres also a lot missing with Win11 that most were use to with Win10. For gaming right now Win10 is by far the better choice.
I would not try to install Win11 on systems that dont meet the requirements as there are many indicators that MS is going to pull the carpet out from under you, forcing you to get new hardware. There have been workarounds to installing Win11 on non-supported hardware for quite some time and there have been some issues as well.
By 2025, I think MS will compromise a bit and things will have been out long enough that it will be a better experience.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I also have a surface device (Surface Pro 3) which is too old for Win11 but I find it quite usable for a tablet and am considering keeping it to replace my ageing Samsung (Android) tablet, at least until 2025 that is...

The blockers I mentioned are the ones imposed by Win11 to prevent installation on devices that are "not supported" and is a means to enable installation to "older" devices.

I've also recently obtained an old Hp Envy machine running windows 8 and all I can say is I really HATE this version of windows!!!! I'm currently getting it updated just to enable upgrade to Windows 10 to keep it usable for a while longer.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The blockers was what I was referring to in regards to workarounds. Some users have reported that changes they made have been overidden and a few had issues getting security updates. These are few and far between but it is happening.
Windows 8 is terrible and not sure what they were thinking. MS doesnt seem to do things with researching, surveying and using focus groups as many of the problems could have been avoided. The OS seems to follow whatever marketing mantra they are using at the time and ignores the customer entirely.
If there were some competition they would change their tune very quickly.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

One yter I saw said that updates might be a problem, and i guess that's to be expected from M$ really, I might try a Win11 install on a machine that doesn't have a Win10 license to see what it does when I have some free time (just for s&g's).

Windows 8 IMO is actually unusable and definitely the worst variant by far!
wove

Post by wove »

If you are into looking at Linux and BSD and Haiku for s&g I think you are already into a world where the OS is not going to be supported by the hardware mfg. It does improve your understanding of the factors in play. Installing Win 11 on the Pi 400, introduced me to aspects of Windows, building Windows and a much better look at tools that MS has for doing such things.

I bought a Surface RT from Microsoft. MS realized soon after release that Win 8 was a bust and the Surface RT was viewed as something of a joke. The RT was of much better build quality than the Surface Go. And I know that Win 8 was universally disliked, but I thought Win 8 was a very nice tablet OS. I have never tried Win 8 on a desktop or laptop, but on a pure tablet it was quite pleasant to use.

The camera took wonderful 3d panarama shots, I liked the page flip viewing as opposed to endless scrolling, and I thought having browser controls at the bottom of the screen was very easy to use. It has very consistent gesture controls making usage very easy to become familiar with, and had an exceptionally nice onscreen keyboard.

It came with Office, but to use that you had to go into desktop mode and I never did get a keyboard or mouse for the RT, which left Office well useless. It did sort of prove Apple's point that you can either have a desktop UI or a tablet UI and that one UI can never do both well.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I haven't installed anything other than Debian and Windows in quite a while now, but I'm sure I will test a few different Os's in the near future.

I have a Surface Pro 3 which I actually quite like, although it didn't play well with linux and so resorted to wiping it and letting Windows take it back. I do still use it sometimes when in bed and want to watch a bit of youtube or do a bit of surfing.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I run Q4OS on my work laptop and Zorin on my older desktop. Outside of my Chromebooks, I run Win10 on all my other systems. I also run Win11 on one of my HP G3s but use it only for support work.
Just dont test much any more and have settled down based on my overall needs.
I absolutely wont use any Microsoft systems and tend to lean heavily toward Dell systems.
Site Moderator