Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Re: Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Post by crosscourt »

Thats correct as the 1000 wont be supported but the 2000 series appears to be ok. Im not happy with this situation but given you can stay with Win10 till 2025, by then many will have changed hardware regardless. I wont make any moves till then but will test Win11 on my Ryzen system assuming they dont lock me out at some point.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I often only pay half attention to things when I first come across them. I had just assumed that Win 11 was coming soon, then I finally realized that no it will be the end of year at the earliest. I read to it will be 2022 before it will be released for retail sales.

MS did confirm what they will be supporting in their Surface line up (according to WinCentral) and they will only be supporting Surface devices released since 2019. I also did some scouring of documentation on the MS site (damn that is a rats nest to dig through). The Compatibility Checker is accurate for what is supported by the current build. It is not meant to reflect what hardware will be supported in the final release. Some hardware support the developers have not yet got around to adding, while other hardware is still ok, because a lot of the build is still primarily Win 10 stuff.

So it looks like I do not have to give Win 11 anymore thought for a long time.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

By October MS may change their mind on some aspects of hardware support as they are already getting huge amounts of complaints that 3-4 year old systems wont be supported. Ive got a Dell laptop made in 2018 and it wont be able to run Win11. My two year old Ryzen system was borderline, thats ludicrous.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

They've apparently removed the tool that checks if your system is Win11 ready at this point from their downloads due to the "confusion" it was causing.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The issue with the PC Health Checker was that even with version 2.3 it wasnt telling people what was actually preventing them from using Win11.

The leaked preview version has no restirctions and the recent insiders preview released caused issues with systems that met all the requirements for Win11 and a patch was issued.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It appears 7th gen Core users may get a reprieve as it appears Microsoft may allow them to install Win11. A lot of insders use 7th gen processors so Microsoft got a huge backlash from them and is now gathering data to see if it will work. If youre doing 7th gen then why not 6th gen and back off the stupid TPM 2.0 requirement and secure boot. Both have been compromised multiple times recently and have shown they do not offer a better level of security.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It would make sense that AT LEAST 6th gen+ would be supported. Beyond that they're STARTING to get less common and I could see the argument of "we don't want to support old hardware eternally" coming into play. But 6th or newer were still for sale not very long ago at all.

Ultimately, I can see them folding as I don't really think they expected the level of outrage from EVERY angle they're getting (consumers, professionals, reviewers, testers) for such draconian requirements.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I think their attitude is, if you dont like it, use Win10 till 2025, then youll have to upgrade. Its a stupid perspective as 6th generation cpus are so good they may very well be used for quite some time with no performance issues in mainstream use.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It appears thru sources that Microsoft is going to back off, but how much isnt certain. Im guessing TPM, Secure Boot and processors requirements will all get changes.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I doubt Secure Boot will, that's been supported for so long there's no reason to back off on it. TPM they might, but it won't DRASTICALLY change the amount supported systems, as newer systems will support PTT/fTPM, and business systems have had TPM for YEARS, and most mid-range and above boards (consumer build boards) have supported adding TPM for quite a while, so while they might not HAVE them (like mine), they can GET them if the owner wishes. The processor requirement is the only super draconian one, that simply is too harsh AS IT SETS IMO.