Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Re: Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Post by crosscourt »

Win11 has many issues still unsolved. Many apps havent been fleshed out, graphics drivers still dont perform as well as the ones in Win10. Many hardware issues foe some users, particularly with peripherals/printers and wifi. Win11 to me shouldnt have been a new OS but instead an upgrade to Win10, sorta like Win98/Win98 SE.
I dont advise anyone to update yo Win11, particularly gamers and high end users.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Finally got to play with Windows 11. Put Win10 on the Dell 7490 (it's fully supported by 11) then upgraded to Win11 so that I didn't have to use a M$ account. Gotta say, HATED IT! Definitely not going to be installing it on anything of mine that I'm keeping!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Not wild about Win11 either but you can make changes to get it a bit more like Win10. Down the road I wont get the choice but in three years who knows what Win11 will look like.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

The other day just to look at something different I turned on dark mode on Win 11 on the Surface. It was ok, not sure I like it a lot, but it was a change. I have found myself looking at Windows more. If it had a better UI and a more pleasant presentation it would be alright. I dug back through my old stuff and brought all my notes and scribbles together organized them and brought them into OneNote.

OneNote is for me is Windows killer app. I am always writing stuff down, skeching things out. I have dozens of paper notebooks filled with oddments. It is nice to sort of bring it all together. I have somewhere around a grand of pages, scattered across 8 sections and OneNote is fast and responsive to use even with a huge volume of clutter.

The other app from MS that I like is MS Publisher. It sort of reminds me of the old draw module from Apple's ClarisWorks. It is just a fast easy and efficient way to put a document together. It works very well to put together postcards, greeting cards, newsletters and other items of that ilk.

Big problem I have with Windows it there just seems to me no way to create a nice smooth workflow. It feels like every time you want to change tasks, you need to pack up the whole house and move to the other side of town.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I just recently started using OneNote. I have to admit, initially I'm not a fan. But...it works and lets me keep some notes organized, so it works well enough.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Neither my wife nor I use OneNote. I like the workflow with Win10 and in fact have been having issues getting use to the workflow in Zorin. It depends on what youre doing and what you were use to originally. Publisher is really nice but recent office suites like FreeOffice offer some nice features as well.
Wish I could get away from Win10 more but between my wife,family, friends, online work and clients I end up in the Windows world most of the time.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

There are lots of reasons why an individual might prefer one OS over another. Overall though computers have gotten to the point that just about anything you care to do can be done on just about any OS you choose to use. I would think one of the big problems with providing support is that while it can be somewhat straight forward to cover tools/application use, it would be very difficult to help with workflow, which tends to be individual and effectively develops with time and expertise.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Workflow I'd agree, but even applications can be hard to adjust. Because I've been on some form of Linux for SOOOO long, a couple years ago at work I forgot my corporate laptop, so had to use a loaner we had setting around for a day. It worked fine, but literally it took me 10 minutes to connect to a VM to do some routine updates because I had NO IDEA HOW TO RDP FROM WINDOWS. Yeah, the WINDOWS remote desktop protocol I hadn't the slightest clue anymore how to use from WINDOWS because of how little I use that OS. So switching to a new OS can be a HUGE hassle even if the applications are similar, just to remember WHAT the application IS to use for something.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im the opposite as Ive been using Windows non-stop for years thus I can handle pretty much anything that comes up. Linux Im not as adept at and it takes me awhile with some issues but with recent Linux distros things have gotten much easier and quicker. Linux has many more GUIs and ways of doing things that makes it tougher to just jump in and feel comfortable.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I was stunned as I popped the NVMe drive from the Dell e7370 into the HP G3 and it activated. Both are 6th gen but they have many differences.
The way they handle activation is a bit odd.
Site Moderator