Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Re: Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Post by crosscourt »

Essentially they do an instant check of your system that becomes apparent when you go to update and they tell you, youre not compatible. I hate the fact that MS instantly forces you to be on a network and wants to know either who you are, put in your pin or if youre using a local account they badger you to change to their way of thinking.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

MS just put out a patch to solve the Network issues and performance issues with AMD processors with Win11.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I did not catch the IdeaCentre quick enough on boot this morning and it booted into Win 10. Windows update notified me that Windows 11 was available for my machine and ready to install. I installed it and it went fine. After it was installed a cumulative update came through as well. Many applications were also updated.

Overall it was a smooth update and I have experienced no troubles. It still connects to the network. I checked my printer and it is working well too. I do not have a Ryzen processor, so do not have any of those problems either. When the updating was all done, I restarted the machine and this time caught it quick enough to book into my Fedora Silverblue install.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Many users arent having issues with 10/11 but Ive seen quite a few friends and clients with issues. Many times its something theyve done settings wise and they dont maintain their systems very well. I wont be using 11 right now but down the road.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So Microsoft tells you you cant use Win11 with certain hardware that doesnt meet their requirements. Then you find you can use Win11 and it even gets updates on unsupported hardware. They say its at your own risk and they may pull update support at any time yet they are allowing large numbers of unsupported hardware to run Win11. Are you going to drop support to so many after allowing them to use it, possibly for years?
Theres something odd going on here and of course we have all learned not to trust anything Microsoft says.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

Good to see MS are determined to coerce users into an Edge/Bing straightjacket......
wove

Post by wove »

One of the most annoying aspects of Win10 and Win11 is the constant nag that my security is compromised because I do not have Bing set as my default search engine. A new major annoyance with Win11 is an hourly nag is that I still have not setup teams. I do not even know what Teams is so I have no idea what it is I am missing.

Apple's Spotlight which I see as the gold standard for desktop search uses Bing for internet searching and it is quite capable. So Bing can produce good results without being simply a sales platform, but MS seems to feel on the Windows side of things that search is only done by people looking to buy things.

MS reminds me of the government in the movie "V", where the leader proclaims that, "We have to show people why they need us."
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So, what I'm reading is that MS did a significantly better job of developing Edge for Linux than they did for Windows, since it doesn't nag you to change back to Bing? :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I use Firefox so no Bing nags but with Edge its a pain. Dont get any nags about Team. Team is a communication app similar to Slack.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'll actually be returning to the Windows world at work. We've decided that getting Linux centrally managed in a Windows domain simply costs too much (either in my labor setting it up using open source tools, or in $$ if we use a plug-and-play solution for purchase) for how many devs there are. So the devs will be getting moved back to Windows + WSL2, and I will, of course, be joining them in migrating back to Windows + WSL2. Of course, it'll be Win10, as we haven't done anything with Win11 internally yet beyond my boss's minor amount of testing on some of the newer laptops to test Azure AD integration w/ Win11.