Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Re: Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Post by crosscourt »

If they would allow TPM 1.2 for a time I think that would be a good move, and yes, back off the processor requirements a bit. With game streaming beginning to takeoff, it may not matter as I wont need Windows. Many of my apps are online and I can access them with other OS, so at some point will Microsoft realize, they cant push things to the same extent that they do now.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

A nice feature of the Pi 400 is that it just boots from either USB or microSD card, which ever is plugged in at the time you start. That makes it very easy to have several different OSes setup for the Pi and simply switch between them. I left the Win 11 install on a drive and fired it up this morning.

A big update came through, not sure of the size, but it did take well over an hour for the update to complete. Mostly is appears to consist of getting rid of older Win 10 items and replacing them with Win 11 items. Overall though Win 11 does look more like a reskinning of Win 10 than something new.

I was looking for the Android App layer, but it is not there yet. But today I did find that X64 apps run on ARM. In Windows 10 only X86 apps will run. Widgets appear to be a real bust, just ads and stuff MS wants to feed you. The start menu contains not only your apps, but also suggested apps from the store, which again is a real waste of my time. Good new though is that all my apps do seem to run just fine. Many are actually available as ARM apps although a few are X86 apps, but all are running just fine, either native or emulated.

A review from ARS noted that it is still very rough around the edges, and indeed it is. The venerable Control Panel that has been there since Win 95 is still there and looking just as out of place as it always has. It still impresses me how well it runs on the Pi, and I am pleased to see it does look to be much more tablet friendly that Win10, however it is not as tablet friendly as Win8.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Windows 11 is definitely not a finished product and is extremely rough around the edges. I have no intention of using till Win10 loses support. Most new Windows releases dont improve till theyve been out awhile and go through at least 2 major updates.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It appears some softening in requirements are going to happen but the details are few and far between. There have been reports with the latest version of Win11 of some users being able to run it that didnt happen with the previous version.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Reading online, I trip across so much teeth gnashing, woe is me, I need/should be able to run Win 11. There seems such a disconnect. We buy phones, tablets, smart TVs, GPS systems, set top boxes and cars which never get an OS update, maybe some security up dates, and by and large most just accept that. But with a computer my oh my such feelings are generated. It covers the whole spectrum, from those that never want to update, to those that want that update now.

As a share holder I would say, "You make your money selling OS liscenses to OEMs, so push people to buy new, maybe update the current shipping models, let the last couple models pay for an upgrade, and let the rest buy a new machine." Windows 10 is supported to 2025, so even machines sold in 2018 are getting 7 years of support, which is fair and reasonable.

For those that really need a new OS that is the latest version there is Linux, Haiku, BSD and probably others which will give you the latest on your existing computer. Since the Win 11 will not release till the end of year you have back to school sales and black Friday sales to look for a new machine to support the new OS.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Intels recent documents show Win11 will release in October and much of the new info we are seeing about requirements and features have come from this and info released from Microsoft. Win11 will launch with dark mode as default and driver support should be quite good at launch. That said, most people including myself will stick to Win10 will have some advantages for gamers as reported by Microsoft. I find that kinda odd goven the work on the Win11 drivers yet they perk Win10 for gamers. More to come as I get more info from my other website and Ill try to post specifics and other links.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Microsoft thru Office 365 is offering a virtual Win10 or 11 environment for a monthly subscription fee. Its surprisingly popular at the moment which for the life of me I dont understand.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The insane popularity is easily explained, actually. Free 60-day trial, and you can cancel before you get billed.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The popularity Im describing is actually people contacting Microsoft directly about subscription prices and future use. The initial splash is the trial period and perks.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Everything I've read about pricing turns me off. Also makes it unlikely my company will adopt it for temps (currently we use Amazon Workspaces so that temps can use their own equipment as they don't work in office). For the dual cores/8GB ram (which is the minimum recommended for sufficient power to do all "normal" office tasks by MS), it's MINIMUM $41/month. Given a 3-year hardware warranty, that means in 3 years of paying for a person to use that, it would cost $1476. A budget-friendly Dell Latitude 3000 series business machine can be had with 3-year onsite warranty w/ accidental damage protection and a USB-C dock for ~$1200-$1400. So more expensive for 3 years of a VIRTUAL workspace than for REAL hardware with a 3-year warranty. Just not a good investment IMO.