Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
tlmiller

Re: Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Post by tlmiller »

wove wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:42 am I watched a couple videos on YouTube about the leaked Window's 11. They did not have much useful info. My big wonder is what is it going cost? It could of course be a free update. Microsoft still has the license and activation mechanisms still in place, which I assume they keep so they can still use them.
It seems all the "experts" think it's going to be a free upgrade still. Basically just changing the name to try to inspire upgrades on hardware is what multiple people that are generally in the know seem to think. But yeah, We'll find out soon enough.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I work at a large tech site and so far from sources, it appears it will be a free upgrade for anyone using Windows 7/8/10 already, otherwise you pay for it. As I see more info it appears the reason MS didnt launch Win10x is because it was used in part to create Win11. Right now it may be available in October of this year. The cost of it though for new hardware appears to be higher than last time around and so far we have no info on the actual cost of it to new users. There will be quite a few perks for mobile devices due to it being based on 10x and some an even stronger push for gaming.
We also have some sources talking already about Win11 drivers particularly for video cards so thats a good sign things have been going on for quite some time.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

LOL!! Microsoft tries to deny everything then release info was leaked onto the net so now theres nothing they can do.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It appears there will be a taskbar setting so you can use the classic startup menu and button. This will make a lot of people happy but dumbing down some features and hiding them will piss off a lot of mainstream users.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I was reading the list of the Win10 features that are going away in 11, and I must say I was shocked about some of them. Most weren't things I cared abouit, but seems like there's a lot of features that were pretty heavily utilized that are going away. Doesn't really strike me as being a good move to get rid of features that your customers like and use. Meanwhile, Cortana will be gone, I think most will agree that would be the best part of win11. :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The news is even worse as Win11 will only support Intel Core 8th generation and up and TPM 2.0 only. My recent laptops like the 7470 will not be supported by Win11 thus alot of people will have to make hardware changes to run this OS. Originally they were going to allow 6th/7th generation cpus and TPM 1.2. so this is a move to really restrict people and make it doubly tough to use Win 7 upgrades to Win11.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Supposedly Win11 was only going to support Ryzen 3000 or higher cpus but after running the Win11 check app it says my system will support Win11.
Its idiotic what MS is doing as ,my wifes laptop was built in 2018 but due to the cpu will not be compatible with Win11. 6th generation cpus are plenty fast and would last for quite some time in normal use. Most of these systems are TPM 1.2 but can be upgrade their firmware to 2.0 so if they would loosen things up a bit it might be a smart move.

This may drive Linux use when they see the many gotchas. Win1o honestly is a nice OS and works very well on older hardware. We will probably see a huge number of people remain on Win10 causing the same issues that happened with Win7.

If they could allow the older hardware and TPM 1.2 systems initially then slowly phase in the TPM 2.0 and newer hardware requirements, consumers would be a lot happier.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

tlmiller wrote:Meanwhile, Cortana will be gone, I think most will agree that would be the best part of win11. :)
I used "hey google" all the time on my Android Tablet. When I tried "hey cortana" on my Surface I was quite surprised to find it did almost nothing as was quite worthless. In its current state Cortana serves no real purpose, but I would prefer that Cortana be improved rather than done away with. But as it stands there is no good reason to keep it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Loved Cortana in the Halo game but in regards to Windows, getting rid of her is fine by me.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:45 pm Supposedly Win11 was only going to support Ryzen 3000 or higher cpus but after running the Win11 check app it says my system will support Win11.
I have read that the first generation Ryzens (1000-series) will be no longer supported, which would be ridiculous. 1700/1700x are 8-core/16-thread, but not supported for upgrading to Win11?? Dumb.