Is Linux your primary OS?

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Re: Is Linux your primary OS?

Post by crosscourt »

Ive never cared for many of the K-apps and have always used many apps outside of the DE. I dont find any issues with productivity and like the ability to choose what I like. Feel just the opposite with TDE as its too limiting versus KDE. Truly I agree its how it feels for the user rather than how good it looks, but when you can get both, its a great experience.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I use many of the CORE K-apps, and use qt apps when at all possible even if I don't use K-apps. But many of the K-apps are, as Wove says, steaming garbage (kmail, kontact, korganizer, kaddressbook, Calligra Office which since it's part of KDE should have been called Kalligra but that's a discussion for another thread...). I do use some GTK out of necessity (glabels being the MAJOR one), but my opinion is that since Plasma slimmed itself down in terms of what it sucked down for system resources, there's really no reason to use anything else. Nothing else allows me to work the way I want to work (well, Mate does despite being very hard to look pretty, and Trinity if I'm willing to deal with it's limitations), so it's pretty much just Plasma or Trinity for me. Despite it's gaping limitations, I'd still say Trinity offers a better DE experience than most of the Desktops that aren't the big 2. Despite MAte working for me, it's NOT seemless, neither is Cinnamon, and XFCE was, but with the changes to Gnome 3.40, I've been hearing a LOT of issues with XFCE getting messed up (Cinnamon, as well) due to the backend changes to gnome-shell.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

For me KDE is very comfortable to use and even though Ive used many other DEs I simply havent found one I enjoy as much. There are a few custom ones like Zorin OS that are easy to use and great for crossover Windows users. Mate would come the closest to a second DE for me.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I think I'd like Mate more if I could force myself to use it and learn how to modify it as much as I know how to modify KDE. I dislike the colors every implementation of it uses. But changing the color schemes doesn't seem as easy as in KDE.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive used a lot of Mate distros, Ubuntu and Mint mostly but both were easy to change color schemes.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm sure it is easy, it's just different from KDE, so it'll take forcing myself to set down and try it. Maybe I'll do that with my new Arch VM's that I created to test the installer...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont change color schemes that often but all the green with Ubuntu Mate and Mint started to get to me.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I can't think of an install in the last 15 years that I haven't changed the color scheme. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Some of the early Ubuntus I think I changed the colors but Im more picky about having a dark theme and what wallpapers are offered.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

My wife asked me today if I would turn some of her smaller paintings into postcards and print a few. I decide to see how hard this would be using Trinity Desktop on the Raspberry Pi. Overall I was impressed with how well the Trinity graphic tools worked and how well a 1GB Pi did.

Kooka, which I think is no longer available for KDE is quite a good and easy to use scanning tool. I pulled the created images KolorPaint and did some fiddling, then moved the images over to Karbon to format for printing. HP printing in Trinity is the same as every other desktop and the post cards turned out very well.

Everytime I use Trinity on this very low powered hardware I am impressed with how stable it is as it operates at the limits of the resources available. It also fairly snappy in the operations. Although fairly simple as far as graphics work goes, it is just nice to see that the system is really usable and reliable at most everyday mundane tasks one needs to get done.